1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative Velocity

1. Feb 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A Coast Guard cutter detects an unidentified ship at a distance of 23.1 km in the direction 16.8° east of north. The ship is traveling at 24.7 km/h on a course at 43.1° east of north. The Coast Guard wishes to send a speedboat to intercept the vessel and investigate it. If the speedboat travels 48.9 km/h, in what direction should it head? Express the direction as a compass bearing with respect to due north.
    _____degrees east of north

2. Relevant equations

im not sure if there are any specific ones but i was using triangle theorems to try and figure it out

3. The attempt at a solution

ok so i pictured the whole thing as a triangle. one side 23.1 because thats where the ship was detected, another side 24.7, and the final side 48.9. i tried solving for an angle but i think i'm not really getting what the question is asking
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2008 #2
    hmmm, im certainly a noob here, but you cant evaluate this as a set triangle. The triangle will be dependent on the velocities of the 2 boats. I think you may have to do some vector addition here and possibly use an equation that involves the final coordinate x where the 2 boats will be equal.
    Thats my best advice.
    Good luck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?