Relativistic Effects: When to Consider v/c Ratios

• Thread starter Sonko
  • Start date
In summary, relativistic effects become important at a speed ratio (v/c) of approximately 0.4, where the gamma factor is about 1.1, resulting in a 10% difference in length contraction and time dilation. However, the "official" value for considering these effects may vary depending on the required level of accuracy. GPS satellites have to account for relativity, but the effect is minimal. In terms of measuring the velocity of particles with different masses, it may be appropriate to include relativistic effects for smaller particles such as electrons, but not necessary for larger particles like protons within a good level of accuracy.
Sonko
at what sort of speed ratio (v/c) would one consider relativistic effects to become important? i would probably say when v/c ~ 0.4 as this would make the gamma factor to be ~ 1.1, making a 10% difference (for length contraction, time dilation etc..). is there any "offical" value for where one should begin to consider the effects?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on how accurately you need to measure, GPS satelites have to correct for relativity but the effect is tiny.

ok well let's say i was to measure the velocity of a small mass particle and one with a larger mass in the lab frame (lets say an electron and proton). if both particle were to have the same wavelength and so same energy would i be correct in saying that due to their sizes it would be appropriote to include relativistic effects on the electron, but not nessasary for the proton within a good accuracy?

Related to Relativistic Effects: When to Consider v/c Ratios

1. What is a "Very quick simple question"?

A "Very quick simple question" is a question that is short and straightforward, often requiring a simple and direct answer.

2. How do I ask a "Very quick simple question"?

To ask a "Very quick simple question", simply state your question in a concise and clear manner, without any unnecessary details or explanations.

3. Why is it important to ask "Very quick simple questions"?

"Very quick simple questions" are important because they can help clarify information and lead to a better understanding of a topic. They can also save time and make communication more efficient.

4. Can a "Very quick simple question" have a complex answer?

Yes, a "Very quick simple question" can have a complex answer if the topic itself is complex. However, the question itself should still be short and to the point.

5. How can I improve my skills in asking "Very quick simple questions"?

To improve your skills in asking "Very quick simple questions", practice being concise and direct in your communication. Also, make sure to listen carefully to the answers and ask for clarification if needed.