Relativistic Energy Question

Your Name]In summary, the question is about how to calculate the work done by a spaceship's engine when it is accelerating from a given initial velocity relative to Earth to a given final velocity. The answer is to use the final velocity relative to Earth when using the relativistic work/KE equation, as the work is in reference to Earth's frame of reference. The initial velocity is already accounted for in the Doppler shift equation.
tommyball
Hi-

I have a question regarding relativistic kinetic energy. If a spaceship is moving at a velocity relative to the Earth and then accelerates, to compute the work done by the engine/KE, should I use the given final velocity(the problem isn't entirely clear what this speed is in reference to) to compute [tex]\gamma[/tex] or the difference in velocity? The problem is as follows:

1.A space vehicle with a mass of 50,000 kg is moving directly away from the Earth at a speed of v0, relative to the earth. It sends a radio signal back to the earth, notifying ground control that it is about to begin a rocket burn to accelerate to vf. The radio frequency for the transmission is 300MHz, measured on the craft. The signal is received on Earth at 260 MHz.

A) What was v0, before the burn?
B) If the speed of the vehicle after the burn is 0.4c, and no other forces act on the craft, how much work did the rocket engine do on the vehicle?

Homework Equations

To determine v0 I used the Doppler Shift equation:

f=f0 * sqrt[(1-(v/c)) / (1 + (v/c))]

To determine the work, I used the relativistic work/KE equation:

W = [tex]\Delta[/tex]KE = mc^2([tex]\gamma[/tex] - 1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I computed v0 = 0.142c

My question is, when computing [tex]\gamma[/tex] for the W/KE equation, do I use the given vf of 0.4c or since I am trying to determine the work done by the engine, do I use a v of 0.4c-0.142c = 0.258c since the v0 is relative to the Earth and in the craft's reference frame the engine is accelerating it from 0?

Thank you,
Todd

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Todd,

That's a great question! When calculating the relativistic kinetic energy, you should use the final velocity relative to the Earth. This is because the work done by the engine is in reference to the Earth's frame of reference, not the spaceship's. So, in this case, you would use the given vf of 0.4c to calculate the work done by the engine. The initial velocity, v0, is already factored into the Doppler shift equation you used to calculate v0. I hope this helps clarify things for you!

1. What is relativistic energy?

Relativistic energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its motion, taking into account the effects of special relativity. It is a concept that arises from Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

2. How is relativistic energy different from classical energy?

Relativistic energy takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, which are not accounted for in classical energy. This means that as an object's speed approaches the speed of light, its relativistic energy increases significantly compared to its classical energy.

3. What is the equation for calculating relativistic energy?

The equation for calculating relativistic energy is E = mc^2, where E is the relativistic energy, m is the object's rest mass, and c is the speed of light in a vacuum. This equation shows that as an object's speed increases, its energy also increases, approaching infinity as the speed approaches the speed of light.

4. Can an object have negative relativistic energy?

No, an object cannot have negative relativistic energy. This is because the rest mass of an object is always positive, and the speed of light is also a positive constant. Therefore, the product of the two, which makes up the relativistic energy equation, will always be positive.

5. What practical applications does the concept of relativistic energy have?

The concept of relativistic energy has practical applications in fields such as nuclear energy, particle accelerators, and astrophysics. It helps us understand and predict the behavior of particles at high speeds, and it is essential in the development of technologies such as nuclear power plants and medical imaging devices.