Relativistic kinetic energy - particle decay

In summary, a pion at rest (mπ = 273me) decays into a muon (mμ = 207me) and an antineutrino (mn ≈ 0). The kinetic energy of the muon is 33.7MeV and the energy of the antineutrino is 4.08MeV.
Phynos

Homework Statement

A pion at rest (mπ = 273me) decays into a muon (mμ = 207me) and an antineutrino (mn ≈ 0).

Find (a) the kinetic energy of the muon and (b) the energy of the antineutrino in electron volts.

Homework Equations

K = (γ-1)mc2

E = γmc2

ER = mc2

E2 = p2c2 + (mc2)2

I didn't use all of these, but I'm assuming a solution requires one or more of them.

The Attempt at a Solution

Not really sure how to go about this when the mass of the neutrino is so close to zero. If I assume the total energy after the reaction of the neutrino is essentially zero, then the missing energy goes into the motion of the muon.

Kμ ≈ E - E
= c2 (mπ - mμ)
= c2 (0.511*106eV/c2)(273-207)
= 3.37*107 eV
= 33.7 MeV

The answer in the book is 4.08MeV so either my assumption that Kn ≈ 0 is a bad one, or I've made a mistake somewhere here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your assumption is bad. In fact, in a two body decay, the lighter decay product will carry most of the kinetic energy.

You need to fulfill the conservation laws involved, which are they?

Orodruin said:
Yes, your assumption is bad. In fact, in a two body decay, the lighter decay product will carry most of the kinetic energy.

You need to fulfill the conservation laws involved, which are they?

So momentum needs to be conserved, however the momentum is proportional to mass just like kinetic energy, which is what lead me to conclude the kinetic energy must be close to zero. How do I go about calculating the momentum of something for which I do not know the mass?

Momentum is only proportional to mass for fixed velocity < c. You can only draw the conclusion that a light particle has smaller energy or momentum than a heavy if they have the same speed.

You already have a relation between the momentum and total energy of a particle. This relation is true also for massless particles.

1. What is relativistic kinetic energy?

Relativistic kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion and is described by Einstein's theory of relativity. It takes into account the mass, velocity, and the speed of light in its calculation.

2. How is relativistic kinetic energy different from classical kinetic energy?

Classical kinetic energy is based on Newton's laws of motion and only considers the mass and velocity of an object. Relativistic kinetic energy takes into account the effects of high speeds and the speed of light, resulting in a higher energy value compared to classical kinetic energy.

3. What is particle decay in relation to relativistic kinetic energy?

Particle decay is the process in which a particle breaks down into smaller particles, releasing energy in the form of radiation or kinetic energy. In the case of relativistic kinetic energy, this energy is calculated using the mass and velocity of the decaying particle.

4. How is relativistic kinetic energy involved in particle accelerators?

Particle accelerators use electric fields to accelerate particles to high speeds, approaching the speed of light. As the particles gain speed, their relativistic kinetic energy also increases, allowing scientists to study the effects of high energy collisions and particle decay.

5. Can relativistic kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, according to Einstein's famous equation E=mc², mass and energy are interchangeable. This means that relativistic kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or light, and vice versa.