Relativistic momentum and photons

In summary, the energy and momentum of a photon can be calculated using the quantum physics equation E=hf and the classical electrodynamics equation E=pc, taking into account the photon's frequency and energy. This is because the traditional formula for relativistic momentum does not apply to particles with zero rest mass, such as photons.
FrankJ777
I have a question about photons and relativistic momentum. According to my Physics text (Serway & Beichner), the energy of a partle with zero mass, such as a photon, can be related by E[tex]^{}2[/tex]=p[tex]^{}2[/tex]c[tex]^{}2[/tex]+(mc[tex]^{}2[/tex])[tex]^{}2[/tex]. m=0 so the expression becomes E=pc. Since relativistic momentum is p=mu/[tex]\sqrt{}1(-u2^{}[/tex]/c[tex]^{}2[/tex]) and m=0 for a photon, how is there any momentum and thus energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
That definition of momentum only works for things with nonzero rest mass, as you've noticed it becomes undefined (0/0) when you set m=0 and u=c. We can turn to quantum physics for the momentum of a photon--in QM we have E=hf where h is Planck's constant and f is the frequency, so you can substitute this value of E into E=pc to find the photon's relativistic momentum.

Also note that in classical electrodynamics, an electromagnetic wave carries momentum in proportion to its energy, via E = pc, same as you get from the relativistic mass-energy-momentum relationship with m = 0.

I agree with the posts above. A major trick in physics, that usually comes after studying different pehenomena in different situations, is "which formula(s) applies to the situation I'm working on now"...

Naty1 said:
I agree with the posts above. A major trick in physics, that usually comes after studying different pehenomena in different situations, is "which formula(s) applies to the situation I'm working on now"...

I would start with the transformation equations for the momentum and the energy of a particle moving with speed u' relative to I' presented as
p=gp'(1+V/u') (1)
E=gE'(1+Vu'/cc) (2)
In the case of a photon (u'=c) (1) and (2) become
p=gp'(1+V/c)
E=gE'(1+V/c)

1. What is relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum is the momentum of an object that is moving at a speed close to the speed of light. It takes into account the effects of relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, on an object's momentum.

2. How is relativistic momentum different from classical momentum?

Classical momentum, as described by Newton's laws of motion, is based on an object's mass and velocity. Relativistic momentum takes into account the fact that an object's mass increases as it approaches the speed of light, resulting in a different calculation for momentum.

3. What is the equation for calculating relativistic momentum?

The equation for calculating relativistic momentum is p = mv/√(1-(v/c)^2), where p is momentum, m is mass, v is velocity, and c is the speed of light.

4. How do photons fit into the concept of relativistic momentum?

Photons, as particles of light, have a momentum that is determined by their energy and the speed of light. Since they have no mass, their momentum is purely relativistic and is calculated using the equation p = E/c, where E is energy and c is the speed of light.

5. Can relativistic momentum be applied to all particles, or only those traveling at high speeds?

Relativistic momentum can be applied to all particles, regardless of their speed. However, its effects become more prominent as an object's speed approaches the speed of light. At lower speeds, the difference between relativistic and classical momentum is negligible.