Relativistic speed involving particle decay

In summary, a particle of rest mass M0 decays into three identical particles of rest mass m. Two of the particles have velocities of u1=-4/5c i(vector) and u2=-3/5c j(vector). To calculate the direction and speed of particle 3, you need to use the equation pf-pi=0, which means the total momentum of the three particles should add up to 0. Using the equation p=(gamma)mu, you can calculate the momentum of each particle, which should be equal to the momentum of particle 3. However, your calculations were missing the velocity, so the correct equations should be p1=(gamma)mu1, p2=(gamma)mu2,
kpou

Homework Statement

A particle of rest mass M0 is at rest in the laboratory when it decays into three identical particles, each of rest mass m. Two of the particles have velocity
u1=-4/5c i(vector)
u2=-3/5c j(vector)
Calculate the direction and speed of particle 3

Homework Equations

pf-pi=0
p=(gamma)mu

The Attempt at a Solution

The starting momentum = 0 since it is at rest, so the momentum of the three particles should add up to 0.
p1=m/(sqrt(1-(-4/5)^2)) -i(vector)
p2=m/(sqrt(1-(-3/5)^2)) -j(vector)
p3=m/(sqrt(1-(v/c)^2)) ij(vector)

the total momentum is p1+p2+p3
I calculated m/.6 -i + m/.8 -j + m/(sqrt(1-v/c)^2)) ij
I'm not sure how to break this up to find v.
I had tried to use u=(sqrt(ux^2+uy^2+uz^2)) but that = 1 for this.
I think to use that equation I need to break down the ij vector of particle 3
To do this it should be atanx=(3/4), but the answer is actually atanx=(9/16) I'm not sure why it's squared. Likely I'm forgetting something very basic that messed up the whole problem.

Main points of interest:
find out i and j vectors of particle 3
find out why the units are squared as in atanx=(9/16) and is that 9/25 (3/5)^2? if so that doesn't compute out using sin 29 = (9/25)/hM/m should be (gamma)1*m+(gamma)2*m+(gamma)3*m since they all have different gammas.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My momentum equations were missing velocity. i only had mass in the numerator. p1=4/3 i(vector) p2=3/4 j(vector)
p3=m (sqrt ((4/3)^2+(3/4)^2))

much thanks to Bekki from yahoo answers :)

1. What is relativistic speed?

Relativistic speed is a speed that is very close to the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. At this speed, the effects of Einstein's theory of relativity become significant.

2. How does relativistic speed affect particle decay?

As an object approaches the speed of light, time dilation and length contraction occur, which can affect the rate of particle decay. At higher speeds, particles may decay slower or faster, depending on their specific properties.

3. Can particles decay at the speed of light?

No, particles cannot decay at the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, an object with mass cannot reach or exceed the speed of light. Therefore, particle decay cannot occur at this speed.

4. What is the relationship between relativistic speed and particle decay?

The relationship between relativistic speed and particle decay is complex and depends on the specific properties of the particle. Generally, as the speed of a particle increases, its half-life (the time it takes for half of the particles to decay) decreases due to time dilation.

5. How is particle decay measured at relativistic speeds?

Particle decay at relativistic speeds is measured through experiments such as particle accelerators. These experiments can accelerate particles to near the speed of light and observe their decay rates, providing valuable insights into the effects of relativity on particle decay.