Relativity: Comparing Clocks in Different Frames

• Thread starter DWill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary: In that frame, all clocks are going at the same rate.In any other frame, all clocks are going at different rates (except for clocks that are at rest in that frame).
DWill

Homework Statement

1) You are gliding over Earth's surface at a high speed, carrying your high-precision clock. At points X and Y on the ground are similar clocks, synchronized in the ground frame of reference. As you pass over clock X, it and your clock both read 0. (a) According to you, do clocks X and Y advance slower or faster than yours? (b) When you pass over clock Y, does it read the same time, an earlier time, or a later time than yours?

2) You are floating in space when you notice a flying saucer circling you. Each time it passes in front of you, you note the reading on its clock. Do you see its clock advancing faster or slower than your wristwatch? Does the space alien see your watch advancing faster or slower than his clock? Explain.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just started learning about relativity in class, so I was just wondering if my thinking is correct so far.

1) (a) The inertial frame is your own frame, because events happen at the same location in that frame right? I think that means time would advance slower in the other frame, so clocks X and Y would advance slower.
(b) If X and Y advance slower, it would read an earlier time right?

2) The inertial frame here is the space alien's frame, because events happen at same location in that frame. Therefore you would see its clock advancing faster than yours. I'm not sure about the 2nd part of this question, wouldn't yours just seem slower to the alien?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
DWill said:
1) …

2) You are floating in space when you notice a flying saucer circling you. Each time it passes in front of you, you note the reading on its clock. Do you see its clock advancing faster or slower than your wristwatch? Does the space alien see your watch advancing faster or slower than his clock? Explain.

1) (a) The inertial frame is your own frame, because events happen at the same location in that frame right? I think that means time would advance slower in the other frame, so clocks X and Y would advance slower.
(b) If X and Y advance slower, it would read an earlier time right?

2) The inertial frame here is the space alien's frame, because events happen at same location in that frame. Therefore you would see its clock advancing faster than yours. I'm not sure about the 2nd part of this question, wouldn't yours just seem slower to the alien?

Hi DWill! :smile:

1) The concept of "because events happen at same location in that frame" is strictly correct, but it's much easier to think "an inertial observer always regards other clocks as going slower".

Your (a) and (b) are correct.

2) Again you've tried to apply "because events happen at same location in that frame" … but I've no idea why you think that applies to one frame rather than the other. :confused:

Try again, with "an inertial observer always regards other clocks as going slower". :smile:

Thanks tiny-tim for the reply, but I'm a little confused on what you said on how to figure out which is the inertial frame. How do you know in which one the clocks go slower?

An inertial observer or an inertial frame is one that has uniform velocity (ie, a fixed speed in a fixed direction), and isn't rotating. :smile:

Related to Relativity: Comparing Clocks in Different Frames

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a scientific theory developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It has two parts: the special theory of relativity and the general theory of relativity. The special theory of relativity deals with the laws of physics in non-accelerating frames of reference, while the general theory of relativity deals with the effects of gravity on space and time.

2. How does the theory of relativity differ from classical physics?

The theory of relativity differs from classical physics in that it takes into account the concept of relative motion and the effects of gravity on space and time. Classical physics, on the other hand, assumes that space and time are absolute and that the laws of physics are the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

3. What evidence supports the theory of relativity?

There is a significant amount of evidence that supports the theory of relativity. Some of the most notable examples include the bending of light around massive objects, the dilation of time in fast-moving objects, and the precession of the orbit of Mercury.

4. How has the theory of relativity impacted our understanding of the universe?

The theory of relativity has had a profound impact on our understanding of the universe. It has provided a more accurate and comprehensive explanation of the laws of physics, including the behavior of objects in extreme conditions such as near the speed of light or in strong gravitational fields. It has also helped to shape our understanding of the structure and history of the universe.

5. Is the theory of relativity still relevant today?

Yes, the theory of relativity is still very relevant today. Its principles are used in many modern technologies, such as GPS systems and particle accelerators. It also continues to be a key component in our understanding of the universe and is continually tested and refined through experiments and observations.