1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativity Question

1. Nov 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In reference frame S two events occur at the same point; event A occurs 1.90 seconds before
    event B. In another frame, S′, event A occurs 2.45 seconds before event B. How far apart
    are events A and B in frame S′?

2. Relevant equations
    x'=gamma (x-vt)
    t' = [t - vx/c^2] gamma

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used the aforementioned mentioned Lorentz transformations. I know both T and t'. I'm trying to find x'. So I solved for x in both equations and tried to calculate x' but could not do so. Am I approaching the question correctly?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can do that, but you don't want to solve for x. In the frame S, to which the coordinate x belongs, the events are at the same point, so you can take x to be zero. You know then x, t, t' and you want to find x'. You have two equations: one that will give you v, and the other can be used to then find x'.

I don't know if you have learned this already, but it may also be useful that in (special relativistically) equivalent frames such as S and S', the quantity
    [tex]\Delta s^2 = - c^2 \Delta t^2 + d^2 [/tex]
    where [itex]d^2 = \Delta x^2 + \Delta y^2 + \Delta z^2[/itex] is the "ordinary" spatial distance given by Pythagoras' law, is a constant. So you could, for example, calculate [itex]\Delta s^2[/itex] in S first and then find [itex]\Delta x[/itex] in S' from that.

If you have no idea what I just said in the second paragraph, please forget it and stick to the first one, that works as well :smile:

4. Nov 12, 2008 #3
    Thank you so much!! I can't believe I didn't realize that x = 0!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?