Relativity Question

• Thread starter fzksfun
  • Start date

Homework Statement

In reference frame S two events occur at the same point; event A occurs 1.90 seconds before
event B. In another frame, S′, event A occurs 2.45 seconds before event B. How far apart
are events A and B in frame S′?

Homework Equations

x'=gamma (x-vt)
t' = [t - vx/c^2] gamma

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the aforementioned mentioned Lorentz transformations. I know both T and t'. I'm trying to find x'. So I solved for x in both equations and tried to calculate x' but could not do so. Am I approaching the question correctly?

Answers and Replies

CompuChip
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You can do that, but you don't want to solve for x. In the frame S, to which the coordinate x belongs, the events are at the same point, so you can take x to be zero. You know then x, t, t' and you want to find x'. You have two equations: one that will give you v, and the other can be used to then find x'.

I don't know if you have learned this already, but it may also be useful that in (special relativistically) equivalent frames such as S and S', the quantity
[tex]\Delta s^2 = - c^2 \Delta t^2 + d^2 [/tex]
where [itex]d^2 = \Delta x^2 + \Delta y^2 + \Delta z^2[/itex] is the "ordinary" spatial distance given by Pythagoras' law, is a constant. So you could, for example, calculate [itex]\Delta s^2[/itex] in S first and then find [itex]\Delta x[/itex] in S' from that.

If you have no idea what I just said in the second paragraph, please forget it and stick to the first one, that works as well :smile:

Thank you so much!! I can't believe I didn't realize that x = 0!