Solve Relativity Question: Find Distance Between Events A & B

• Thread starter fzksfun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary: It makes so much more sense now. Thank you for your help!In summary, the problem involves using the Lorentz transformations to find the distance between two events, A and B, in two different reference frames, S and S'. The events occur at the same point in S, so x can be taken as zero. Using the equations, the value of v can be found, and then substituted into the equation to solve for the distance in S'. Additionally, the quantity Δs^2, which is a constant in equivalent frames, can also be used to find the distance in S'.
fzksfun

Homework Statement

In reference frame S two events occur at the same point; event A occurs 1.90 seconds before
event B. In another frame, S′, event A occurs 2.45 seconds before event B. How far apart
are events A and B in frame S′?

Homework Equations

x'=gamma (x-vt)
t' = [t - vx/c^2] gamma

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the aforementioned mentioned Lorentz transformations. I know both T and t'. I'm trying to find x'. So I solved for x in both equations and tried to calculate x' but could not do so. Am I approaching the question correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can do that, but you don't want to solve for x. In the frame S, to which the coordinate x belongs, the events are at the same point, so you can take x to be zero. You know then x, t, t' and you want to find x'. You have two equations: one that will give you v, and the other can be used to then find x'.

I don't know if you have learned this already, but it may also be useful that in (special relativistically) equivalent frames such as S and S', the quantity
[tex]\Delta s^2 = - c^2 \Delta t^2 + d^2 [/tex]
where [itex]d^2 = \Delta x^2 + \Delta y^2 + \Delta z^2[/itex] is the "ordinary" spatial distance given by Pythagoras' law, is a constant. So you could, for example, calculate [itex]\Delta s^2[/itex] in S first and then find [itex]\Delta x[/itex] in S' from that.

If you have no idea what I just said in the second paragraph, please forget it and stick to the first one, that works as well :smile:

Thank you so much! I can't believe I didn't realize that x = 0!

1. How is the distance between events A and B calculated in the context of relativity?

The distance between events A and B is calculated using the spacetime interval formula, which takes into account both time and space dimensions. This formula is derived from Einstein's theory of special relativity and is represented as Δs² = c²Δt² - Δx², where c is the speed of light, Δt is the time interval between the events, and Δx is the distance between the events in a specific frame of reference.

2. Can the distance between events A and B be different for observers in different frames of reference?

Yes, the distance between events A and B can be different for observers in different frames of reference. This is because the concept of distance is relative in relativity, and it depends on the observer's perspective and their relative motion. The spacetime interval formula takes this into account and allows for different measurements of distance between the same events from different frames of reference.

3. How does the concept of time dilation affect the distance between events A and B?

The concept of time dilation, which states that time passes slower for objects in motion, can affect the distance between events A and B. This is because the time interval (Δt) in the spacetime interval formula will be different for observers in different frames of reference due to their relative motion. As a result, the calculated distance between events A and B may also differ.

4. What is the significance of the speed of light (c) in the calculation of the distance between events A and B?

The speed of light (c) is a fundamental constant in the calculation of the distance between events A and B. This is because it is the maximum speed at which information can travel, and it is the same for all observers regardless of their frame of reference. The spacetime interval formula uses the speed of light to convert the time and space dimensions into a single measurement of distance.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the distance between events A and B in the context of relativity?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the distance between events A and B in the context of relativity. These include the relative velocities and accelerations of the observers, the curvature of spacetime, and the presence of massive objects that can cause gravitational effects. These factors can all have an impact on the measurement of distance between events A and B and must be taken into account in the calculation.