Relativity Q: Does Earthly Time Pass Slower to Outer Space Observers?

• Thread starter Andre Notbright
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, time intervals can be either larger or smaller depending on how fast something is moving relative to you. If something is at rest relative to you, then all time intervals are the same size.
Andre Notbright
Hello,
I have no background in physics, but I understand the very basic concepts.
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but it is searing in my head.

Q: if time is relative to the observer, are there any cases where an observer perceives our ( meaning us on earth) space time to move slower, just as I would experience the time passed by an astronaut moving close the the speed of light as less?
Is this dictated by the rate of speed and gravity of earth? Would our time on Earth appear to pass slower to an observer on a body moving slower and with less gravity, say Pluto.

I guess the basic question here is, what is the opposite of the speed of light, what is slow?

I know this is serious forum, I'm sorry if this is a simple question,many thanks you for any answers,
Thanks,
Andre

Physics news on Phys.org
GPS systems clocks need to be time adjusted by microseconds due to time dilation.
This arises because the satellite clocks are less deeply immersed in Earth's gravity field than are clocks on the surface.
If this was not accounted for the apparent position of objects on Earth could by highly inaccurate.

rootone said:
GPS systems clocks need to be time adjusted by microseconds due to time dilation.
This arises due to their clocks being less deeply immersed in Earth's gravity field than are clocks on the surface.
If this was not accounted for the apparent position of an object on Earth could by highly inaccurate.
Hello Rootone
Thank you very much for the answer.
I guess what I want to know, is if the same extreme in time dilation can be encountered opposite the speed of light. Not merely microseconds, but on the level of the twin paradox. What conditions would need to exist on the opposite end. Is there anything in the universe that is influence in such a manner as to have its relative perception of our time seem as though we are our space time is moving slow relatively.

Andre Notbright said:
opposite the speed of light.

There is no such thing as "opposite the speed of light". The speed of light is an invariant, but a speed of zero is not. If you are floating out in deep space, far away from all other objects, you will feel yourself to be at rest, but with respect to, say, a cosmic ray particle flying past you, you are moving at a speed very, very close to the speed of light. So there isn't any absolute sense in which you, at rest relative to yourself, are "opposite to the speed of light".

Andre Notbright said:
Hello,
I have no background in physics, but I understand the very basic concepts.
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but it is searing in my head.

Q: if time is relative to the observer, are there any cases where an observer perceives our ( meaning us on earth) space time to move slower, just as I would experience the time passed by an astronaut moving close the the speed of light as less?
Is this dictated by the rate of speed and gravity of earth? Would our time on Earth appear to pass slower to an observer on a body moving slower and with less gravity, say Pluto.

I guess the basic question here is, what is the opposite of the speed of light, what is slow?

I know this is serious forum, I'm sorry if this is a simple question,many thanks you for any answers,
Thanks,
Andre
Welcome to PF!
Just to preface my answer, this is a good question. On PF we are here to answer people's questions about science, math, engineering and whatever else we have a forum for.
I do believe, however, you don't quite get time intervals. Time intervals is the rate at which time passes. Larger time intervals makes time move slower, and vice versa. If you understand that, there are two answers to your question, the answer about relative velocities (which uses special relativity) and the answer about gravity (which uses general relativity). I feel like I can accurately explain the one using special relativity, however I don't feel completely confident in my general relativity answer, so I will not give it in great detail.
If something moves with a relative velocity near c relative to you, it will think your time is moving slower, or your time intervals are larger. You will think the same thing except that you will think its time interval is larger. This is where you get the twin paradox. Until you invoke general relativity, in your frame of reference you will think that your time interval is less than or equal to all other time intervals. So (again, until you get the second answer), anything not at rest relative to the Earth will think that our time interval is larger than their's. Of course, this means nothing as general relativity must be invoked when talking about massive bodies, so here's the short answer: time intervals are larger near massive bodies. So, on both counts (special and general relativity), an observer on pluto would find time on Earth to move much slower.

Isaac0427 said:
on both counts (special and general relativity), an observer on pluto would find time on Earth to move much slower.

It actually wouldn't be "much" slower. The difference would be on the order of one part per hundred million or so.

1. Does Earthly Time Pass Slower to Outer Space Observers?

Yes, according to the theory of relativity, time is relative and can pass at different rates depending on the observer's relative velocity and gravitational fields. This means that an observer in outer space, who is not affected by Earth's gravitational field, will experience time passing slower compared to an observer on Earth.

2. How does the theory of relativity explain this phenomenon?

The theory of relativity explains this phenomenon through the concept of time dilation. Time dilation is a result of the relative motion between two observers and the gravitational potential they experience. The faster an object moves, the slower time will pass for that object. Similarly, the stronger the gravitational field, the slower time will pass for an object within that field.

3. What is the evidence for time dilation in outer space?

The most well-known evidence for time dilation in outer space is the famous "twin paradox". This thought experiment involves one twin staying on Earth while the other twin travels to outer space at high speeds and then returns. The traveling twin will have experienced time passing slower compared to the twin on Earth, resulting in the twins' age difference.

4. Can we observe time dilation on Earth?

Yes, time dilation has been observed on Earth through experiments using atomic clocks. These clocks, which are highly precise, have been used to measure the effect of time dilation due to relative motion and gravitational fields. The results have confirmed the predictions of the theory of relativity.

5. How does this phenomenon impact our everyday lives?

In our everyday lives, the effects of time dilation are negligible. However, it is crucial for technologies such as GPS, which rely on precise time measurements, to account for time dilation. On a larger scale, the theory of relativity has helped us understand the behavior of the universe and has led to significant advancements in our understanding of physics.