Relearning a little bit of trig

• Thread starter dolomite
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bit Trig
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with a trigonometry problem involving finding the value of cos^2(2x)+sin^2(2x). They are familiar with the trig identity cos^2(x)+sin^2(x)=1 but are unsure how to apply it to the given problem. The conversation also touches on the idea of substituting variables and the importance of practice in mastering trigonometric concepts.
dolomite
I'm trying to relearn some trig for a math placement test to put me into a calculus class and am having trouble with one particular problem. One of the example problems is as follows:

Find cos^2(2x)+sin^2(2x)

I know the trig identity cos^2(x)+sin^2(x)=1 but I don't know how to apply this, if it should be applied at all, to the problem given. Could I get some help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let u = 2x. Then...

then where?

dolomite said:
I'm trying to relearn some trig for a math placement test to put me into a calculus class and am having trouble with one particular problem. One of the example problems is as follows:

Find cos^2(2x)+sin^2(2x)

I know the trig identity cos^2(x)+sin^2(x)=1 but I don't know how to apply this, if it should be applied at all, to the problem given. Could I get some help?

you need to see what do they wan to acquire when you simplify it.. you got to see the factors in the RHS or while you are solving.

yeah, well cos^2(u)+sin^2(u)=1
therefore cos^2(2x)+sin^2(2x)=1

ie as long as the two angles are the same, the sum of the sin squared and cos squared of that angle is always 1.

redargon said:
yeah, well cos^2(u)+sin^2(u)=1
therefore cos^2(2x)+sin^2(2x)=1

ie as long as the two angles are the same, the sum of the sin squared and cos squared of that angle is always 1.

he meant when to apply tat substitution whr by we sub in cos²(2x)+sin²(2x) = 1
or when to leave it alone.

ok, I thought it was a simpler question than that, thought he didn't quite grasp the identity concept, that's all. We very seldom sub in cos²(2x)+sin²(2x) = 1 but rather cos²(x)+sin²(x) = 1.

redargon said:
ok, I thought it was a simpler question than that, thought he didn't quite grasp the identity concept, that's all. We very seldom sub in cos²(2x)+sin²(2x) = 1 but rather cos²(x)+sin²(x) = 1.

exactly! for the thread starter: practice is the key ! :smile:

1. What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles.

2. Why is trigonometry important?

Trigonometry is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation to solve real-world problems involving angles and distances.

3. How can I relearn trigonometry?

You can start by reviewing basic trigonometric functions and identities, practicing with trigonometric equations, and using trigonometric tables and calculators for calculations.

4. What are the key concepts in trigonometry?

The key concepts in trigonometry include right triangles, trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, tangent), trigonometric identities, and the Pythagorean theorem.

5. How can I apply trigonometry in real life?

You can use trigonometry to calculate the height of a building, determine the distance between two objects, or find the angle of elevation or depression in real-world situations such as construction, surveying, and navigation.