Removing a node in Y-Δ transform

• I
  • Thread starter Conductivity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transform
In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of adding a resistor to the center node of a Y circuit, resulting in one end of the resistor being unconnected. The question was raised of what would happen in this scenario and the answer was that the voltage would be 0 due to the open circuit. The accuracy of this statement was also questioned.
Conductivity
After we proved Y-Δ transform using superposition theorem, The professor asked us what would happen if you have a Y circuit but a resistor is connected to the middle node. Can you do the transformation?

She answered and said yes, and that resistor will be connected to nothing. How can that be true? Or how do we prove that this is true if it is?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am rather confused about your question.

Are you asking what will happen if you had a resistor at the center of the Y configuration making it so that one end is not connected to anything?
It has been a while since I have done this, so I might be wrong but I think there would be 0 volts. Because would that not create an open?

What is the purpose of removing a node in Y-Δ transform?

The purpose of removing a node in Y-Δ transform is to convert a complex Y-shaped network into a simpler Δ-shaped network, making it easier to analyze and solve for the equivalent resistance of the circuit.

When should a node be removed in Y-Δ transform?

A node should be removed in Y-Δ transform when the circuit contains a Y-shaped network and the equivalent resistance needs to be determined. This transformation is particularly useful when the Y-shaped network is connected to other resistors in a larger circuit.

What is the process for removing a node in Y-Δ transform?

The process for removing a node in Y-Δ transform involves first identifying the node to be removed, then calculating the equivalent resistance of the Y-shaped network using the formula Req = R1 x R2 / (R1 + R2 + R3), and finally replacing the Y-shaped network with its equivalent Δ-shaped network by connecting the three resistors in series.

What are the limitations of using Y-Δ transform?

Y-Δ transform can only be applied to Y-shaped networks with three resistors, and the resistors must be connected in a specific configuration (one resistor between each pair of nodes). Additionally, this transformation is only valid for linear circuits with resistors and is not applicable to circuits with non-linear elements such as capacitors or inductors.

How does removing a node affect the overall circuit?

Removing a node in Y-Δ transform does not change the overall behavior of the circuit, as the equivalent resistance before and after the transformation remains the same. However, it simplifies the circuit and makes it easier to analyze and solve for other circuit parameters such as current and voltage.