Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Removing condensation from a cooling jacket

1. Sep 29, 2016 #1
    I have a glass vessel with a cooling jacket which previously had cold water running through it. However now it is disconnected from the pump and the jacket is empty, and there is condensation in the jacket from the little water that was left in there.

How can I get rid of this condensation? Would a vacuum work? Is there a liquid I could put through the jacket that does not condense? I could put the vessel in an oven but I'm worried the plastic parts will melt and I dont want to risk the glass vessel cracking.

I need to take photos of the reactions happening in the vessel but I cant see them properly due to the condensation. I tried filling the jacket with water, but even though its transparent the surrounding water is interferring with the photography.

Anyone heard of anything like this before?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Warm air stream through jacket or round the outside . Hair dryer on low .

4. Sep 30, 2016 #3
    Will try thanks! Also (don't know why I didn't think of this) Acetone! I can run it through and it shouldn't condense!

Thanks again!

5. Sep 30, 2016 #4
    Acetone and evacuating with a vacuum works well. For anyone with this problem in future

6. Oct 1, 2016 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

For a permanent solution (for long-term downtime), you can get a nitrogen bottle, blow nitrogen through it, then cap it. No moisture will be in it at all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted