Reoccurring Error in RLC Series Circuit Problems.

In summary, The speaker has been experiencing issues with obtaining incorrect values for active and reactive power while solving practice RLC series circuit questions. They suspect that the error may be due to an incorrect argument for absolute power or incorrectly computing phasors. They have provided a diagram to illustrate their problem-solving process and note that they may be fundamentally wrong somewhere. They have also mentioned that they have used the conjugated electric current, θv, θv-θz, and θz to solve for S=V^2/Z.ejθz.
buildingblocs
Hi All,

In doing some practice RLC series circuit question, I have been obtaining incorrect values for active and reactive power. The magnitudes I obtain are correct however the sign of the value is not. I have attributed this to obtaining an incorrect argument for the absolute power, or computing phasors incorrectly. I have attached an image of the reasoning behind my problem solving however I must be fundamentally wrong somewhere.

Attachments

• Question_3.png
    Question_3.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 498
Engineering news on Phys.org
S=V.I*=(V.ejα).(I.ejβ)*= (V.ejα).(I.e − jβ)= V.I.ej(α − β) = VIcos(α − β) + j.VIsin(α − β)
I*=conjugated electric current α=θv ; β=θv-θz ;α-β=θz
Then S=V^2/Z.ejθz

Attachments

• Question_3a.jpg
    Question_3a.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 397

1. What is a reoccurring error in RLC series circuit problems?

A reoccurring error in RLC series circuit problems is an error in calculations or analysis that appears consistently in multiple problems involving RLC series circuits. It may be caused by a misunderstanding of the concepts or equations involved, or by a mistake in the calculations.

2. How can I avoid making reoccurring errors in RLC series circuit problems?

The best way to avoid making reoccurring errors in RLC series circuit problems is to thoroughly understand the concepts and equations involved. It is also important to double check all calculations and to practice solving various types of RLC series circuit problems.

3. What are some common causes of reoccurring errors in RLC series circuit problems?

Some common causes of reoccurring errors in RLC series circuit problems include incorrect application of equations, incorrect units, and mistakes in calculations. It can also be caused by not fully understanding the behavior of RLC series circuits.

4. How can I troubleshoot and correct a reoccurring error in RLC series circuit problems?

To troubleshoot and correct a reoccurring error in RLC series circuit problems, it is important to go back and review the concepts and equations involved. Check for any mistakes in calculations or incorrect units. It may also be helpful to seek assistance from a tutor or classmate.

5. Are there any resources available to help me improve my understanding of RLC series circuits and avoid reoccurring errors?

Yes, there are many resources available to help improve understanding and avoid reoccurring errors in RLC series circuit problems. These include textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and seeking assistance from a teacher or tutor. It is also helpful to practice solving various types of RLC series circuit problems to improve understanding and accuracy.