Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, 6 YTBN Shot, Killed In Tuscon AZ

  • Topic: News 
  • Thread starter Thread starter nismaratwork
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
801 replies · 101K views
arildno said:
ACTUALLY, we have a much higher ownership percentage of guns here in Norway than "over there".

We use them to kill moose&grouse.

Or, should that be goose&mice? :confused:

Does Norway have compulsory service in the military?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I've read some of this poor bastard's writing, and he's out of his mind. Grandiosity is off the charts, with claims of being able to, "control all of the world's religions". The writing structure is rambling and repetitive, which screams either Schizophrenia, a manic state due to bipolar disorder, (perfect age for a psychotic break in either case), or my favorite: delusional disorder not otherwise specified aka... crazy spree killer.

What's clear from his writing and actions is that this murderer's mind is not working properly. I'm sure there will be debates about whether he was "pointed" in this direction, but it's clear he was a bomb about to explode... where and how were secondary to the act of detonating.
 
It's appaling how much about guns and getting rid of this woman there have been.

Giffords had been target of violent threats

In August 2009, an attendee at a Giffords town-hall meeting dropped a handgun, leading Giffords's staff to call the police. "We have never felt the need before to notify law enforcement when we hold these events," her spokesman said at the time.

That same month, Sarah Palin's political action committee posted a map of the US, showing the locations of the 20 Democratic members of Congress, including Giffords, it was targeting for defeat. Each location was marked by an image of a gun crosshairs.

Palin's camp dismissed charges that she was encouraging acts of violence, saying she had spoken out against violence. But Giffords herself was one of many who spoke out against the image, telling MSNBC: "When people do that, they've got to realize there's consequences to that action."

In June, the campaign of Giffords' Republican opponent in this year's midterms, Jesse Kelly, placed an ad that read: "Get on target for victory in November/ Help remove Gabrielle Giffords from office/ Shoot a fully automatic M16 with Jesse Kelly."

The website for Kelly, a former US Marine, depicted him with holding an automatic weapon.
And we're surprised someone went on a shooting spree?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110108/ts_yblog_thelookout/giffords-had-been-target-of-violent-threats
 
Last edited by a moderator:
One guy that was interviewed who was at the shooting said that the gathering was so small that the 19 people shot constituted a majority of the gathering. That's just awful...
 
Evo said:
It's appaling how much about guns and getting rid of this woman there have been.

And we're surprised someone went on a shooting spree?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110108/ts_yblog_thelookout/giffords-had-been-target-of-violent-threats

Huh... that is troubling, but still... a little early to draw conclusions or use this as an example. The behaviour you describe is still reprehensible, and I think bordering on illegal, but it doesn't mean that THIS guy was truly a symptom of that disease. We have to be better than jumping to that, or any other, conclusion.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Pengwuino said:
One guy that was interviewed who was at the shooting said that the gathering was so small that the 19 people shot constituted a majority of the gathering. That's just awful...

No security on site, and for reasons that mystify me it seems that this is the one gathering in AZ without people packing heat! Those people were without much cover, and no way to defend themselves until police responded. By all accounts that response was rapid, but it doesn't take very long to kill people.
 
Pengwuino said:
Not being dumb doesn't imply smart. It was just an ad. No one makes a big deal out of anything until something happens, which means it is just knee-jerk reactionary complaints. There have been ads like this for decades and no one complained because no sane person is going to take an ad and use it as a call to arms to go kill someone in real life. A crazy person doesn't need an ad, however.

Maybe you’re right... I just hope that everyone is as smart as you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="480" height="385">
<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/erHH3SXkZkU&fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x402061&amp;color2=0x9461ca"></param>
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param>
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/erHH3SXkZkU&fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x402061&amp;color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed>
</object>
 
Last edited by a moderator:
nismaratwork said:
Does Norway have compulsory service in the military?

Actually, yes.
Grouse droppings is a MAJOR contaminant in the midlands, and moose trample down our gardens.

So, where would we be without military conscription?
 
DevilsAvocado said:
Maybe you’re right... I just hope that everyone is as smart as you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="480" height="385">
<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/erHH3SXkZkU&fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x402061&amp;color2=0x9461ca"></param>
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param>
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/erHH3SXkZkU&fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x402061&amp;color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed>
</object>

Lets say that he killed THESE people because of the current environment; economy, media saturation, negative ads, INSANE tea-people. Let's POSIT that ok? Let's also posit, and I think we can do this now more and more safely *nod to pengwuino* that this man is mentallly ill aka NUTS.

Is it better that he shoot up a random group, or a school, a job, etc? If a bullet is fired, and is bound to kill one of a given set of targets, which is the best to choose? In a sick and devil's advocate (IRONY) way, you could say the public servant taking the bullet, and being the magnet for this kind of behaviour is... civic.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
arildno said:
Actually, yes.
Grouse droppings is a MAJOR contaminant in the midlands, and moose trample down our gardens.

So, where would we be without military conscription?

I thought so, but I couldn't remember. How do you like your grouse cooked? I like a light gravy with cranberries.
 
I've never eaten grouse. Or moose. Nor do I own a rifle.

Apart from the district folk (who are many), only city magnates (and H.R.M.) bother to hunt.

We do NOT have a nobility here, we do NOT have a nobility here, we do NOT have a nobility here..

Or so we have been told, since 1824 or thereabouts..
 
For the kind people who asked, I am fine if a bit shook up. I was going to work on a fractal generating program today, but that has been put off until I feel better. Believe me, it is nothing I want to go through again. Once is enough.
 
arildno said:
Is intelligence a two-valued variable? :confused:

Well... if you are living in Norway I have to tell you the "ad valuation" gets in a "slightly" different light... I live in Sweden... and you know what stories we have over here... "Norgehistorier"...

Sorry, I can’t tell you other guys one, or I be banned for life.

Heja Norge!


(... sorry again, this is not the place for jokes ...)
 
Bad news (glad you're alright MA).

"With guarded optimism, I hope she will survive."

from Richard Carmona (Former US Surgeon General), who saw her CATscans and talked to her surgeon, and watched the procedure. In addition he described the wound as "devastating".

edit: Also the sheriff is now saying that another individual was also involved, and is currently on the run.
 
CNN right now: Doctor "optimistic" about her recovery.

The shooter is still on the loose. Maybe two people are involved??


EDIT: Sorry n@w missed your post.
 
The shooter has had recent *encounters* with local police. I just watched a live news conference. He had a semi-automatic with extended magazine.

The shooter is in custody and is refusing to speak, there is a second *person of interest* that is loose.
 
Thanks Evo, "your" CNN seems to be 5-10 min faster than mine... :confused:
 
DevilsAvocado said:
Thanks Evo, "your" CNN seems to be 5-10 min faster than mine... :confused:
It was on ABC.
 
Who said he's ex military? I've heard he was not in the military.
 
Evo said:
Who said he's ex military? I've heard he was not in the military.

The initial reports were that he was an afghan war veteran but the military is saying they have no record of him serving.
 
Pengwuino said:
The initial reports were that he was an afghan war veteran but the military is saying they have no record of him serving.
He was never in the military.

The Army has issued the following statement:

"The Army has confirmed that the suspect was never in the Army. He attempted to enlist in the Army but was rejected for service. In accordance with the Privacy Act, we will not discuss why he was rejected."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...ooter_n_806243.html#75_second-person-involved
 
nismaratwork said:
this man is mentallly ill aka NUTS.

No doubt about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="480" height="385">
<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PnNx0WThoF0&fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x402061&amp;color2=0x9461ca"></param>
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param>
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PnNx0WThoF0&fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x402061&amp;color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed>
</object>
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Already on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Lee_Loughner"
Status of Giffords

Reuters, NPR, CNN, and other news agencies initially reported that the shot was fatal, but this statement was soon amended to reflect that Giffords is in critical condition.[7] Giffords underwent emergency surgery,[2] but managed to survive the attack and is recovering, reported the Washington Post.[9] According to Dr. Peter Rhee[10] from University Medical Center in Tucson, the bullet went through Giffords's brain, exiting from the other side of her head. Giffords is currently in critical care under anesthesia.[2][11]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Is this http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/1079403635/34577_541337324063_56200769_31850776_7420157_n_normal.jpg" ?



Friendly warning: Do NOT google for "Jared Lee Loughner" pictures, the virus hackers ARE fast!
(and they almost took my machine down )
 
Last edited by a moderator:
arildno said:
I think Palin's ad was neither offensive or dumb, ...
Nor unusual for politics.
 
DevilsAvocado said:
Ah, don’t have.

CNN: Gabrielle Giffords WAS the target.
I see no such information on CNN or anywhere else. Can you please provide a link?