Reparameterizing a Curve Using Arc Length as the Parameter

• Thread starter roadrunner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary: So why bother including it?In summary, the homework statement is to reparameterize the curve with respect to the arc length measured from the point where t=0 in the direction of increasing t. r(t)=e^(2t)*cos2t i +2 j + e^(t2)*sin2t k. The attempt at a solution was to take r'(t) and then find |r'(t)| and then integrate that. However, the form they used was s=s(t)=integral from 0-t of |r'(u)|du for every other problem of this nature. Then, r(t)=e^(2t)*cos2t i
roadrunner

Homework Statement

"Reparameterize the curve with respect to the arc length measured from the point where t=0 in the direction of increasing t. r(t)=e^(2t)*cos2t i +2 j + e^(t2)*sin2t k"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the method we were taught is take r'(t) and then find |r'(t)| and then integrate that.

but in every example we were given, the derivative was a real number, not a function (IE: 12, sqrt(23) etc)

i took the derivative and got [-2e^(2t)sin(2t)+2te^(2t)cos(2t)]i +0j + [2e^(2t)cos(2t)+2te^(2t)sin(2t)] k

then |r'(t)|=(after simplifying it i got) =2e^(2t)sqrt(1+t^2) which seems nice and simple now...but how to i integrate that...

the form they used was s=s(t)=integral from 0-t of |r'(u)|du
for every other problem of this nature

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did the t's in front of the exponentials in your derivative come from? They definitely shouldn't be there.

this derivative? [-2e^(2t)sin(2t)+2te^(2t)cos(2t)]i +0j + [2e^(2t)cos(2t)+2te^(2t)sin(2t)] k

r(t)=e^(2t)*cos2t i +2 j + e^(t2)*sin2t k

ill just do the firts part as "k" is the same as "i"

f'(t) "e^(2t)*cos2t"

u'v*v'u corrrect?

2t*e^t*cos2t + e(2t)*-sin2t

or did i do that wrong?
i thought the derivative of e^(2x)=2xe(2x) but maybe its juts 2e^(2x)? (this is calc 3 and i took calc 1 and 2 2 years ago so i kinda forget them! :(

Yes, it's just 2e^(2x). It's a pretty easy chain rule.

so doing it the RIGHT way i get the derivative is

[-2e^(2t)sin(2t)+2e^(2t)cos(2t)]i +0j + [2e^(2t)cos(2t)+2e^(2t)sin(2t)] k

which gives me a simplified |r'(t)| of 2e^(2t)sqrt2?
that look right now

and assuming that's right i would just integrate 2e^(2t)sqrt2? and get e^(2t)sqrt2? and then evaluate from o to t?
which would give me e^(2t)sqrt2-sqrt(2)

Last edited:
So what's your new parameter t? So far, you only have arc length.

e^(2t)sqrt2-sqrt(2) would be the arc legnth

so the new parameter is since s=e^(2t)sqrt2-sqrt(2)
s+sqrt2=e^(2t)sqrt2
(s+sqrt2)/sqrt2=e^(2t)
ln((s+sqrt2)/sqrt2)=2tlne
ln((s+sqrt2)/sqrt2) /2 =t

original e^(2t)*cos2t i +2 j + e^(t2)*sin2t

final e^(ln((s+sqrt2)/sqrt2))*cos(ln((s+sqrt2)/sqrt2)) i +2 j + e^((ln((s+sqrt2)/sqrt2)))*sin(ln((s+sqrt2)/sqrt2))

Gotta confess, I'm not checking all the details for you. But it looks about right. You can check yourself. Take d/ds and see if you get a unit vector. BTW you could have skipped the integration constant. Why?

Last edited:
what do you mean by the integration constant? the 2?

No, the sqrt(2). The lower limit in your integral. It doesn't hurt you to include it though. Don't worry about it.

you mean the sqrt2 is (s-sqrt2)/sqrt2 ??

can you explain why i don't need it pleasE? :D

I mean there is not much difference between writing s+sqrt(2) and just s. It's just a change in the origin of the parametrization.

What is the purpose of reparameterizing a curve?

Reparameterizing a curve is a process of changing the parameterization of a curve to make it more convenient for certain calculations or analyses. It allows for easier manipulation and comparison of curves.

How is a curve reparameterized?

A curve can be reparameterized by changing the parameterization function, which is typically done by replacing the original parameter with a new parameter, such as arc length or time.

What are the benefits of reparameterizing a curve?

Reparameterizing a curve can make it easier to analyze and manipulate the curve. It can also make calculations, such as finding the derivative or arc length, simpler and more accurate.

What are some common methods for reparameterizing a curve?

Some common methods for reparameterizing a curve include using arc length, uniform parameterization, and chord length parameterization.

When is reparameterizing a curve necessary?

Reparameterizing a curve is necessary when the current parameterization of the curve is not convenient for the desired calculations or analysis. It can also be necessary when comparing multiple curves with different parameterizations.