Repulsive force by itself on a charged sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of holding a large amount of charge inside an object, such as a ball, and the potential challenges that come with it. The idea of using an isolant and a semiconductor to charge the ball without any leakage is mentioned, but the issue of repulsive force and the necessary pressure to keep it stable is also brought up. The conversation then shifts to discussing the mathematical calculations and mechanical stresses involved in such a scenario, referencing historical research on the topic.
Zeor137
I was wondering how could I hold a lot of charge inside, for example, a ball. I thought by wrapping it in an isolant and using a hole with a semiconductor to charge it without letting anything out. But them it also could blow apart by the repulsive force of itself. Therefore, I got curious of how to calculate the pressure necessary to hold it still. I thought about considering it a bunch of infinitesimal balls with infinitesimal charge but I don't now enough calculus yet to put it in a equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
For any conducting sphere all of the extra charge will move to the surface; any other configuration is unstable.

The math is given here: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elesph.html#c2

Your question then becomes: what are the mechanical stresses on the charged spherical shell with surface charge? This was investigated extensively around 1900 while trying to understand the properties of the newly discovered electron. For example, Poincare stress:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_mass#4.2F3_problem

1. What is repulsive force by itself on a charged sphere?

Repulsive force by itself on a charged sphere is the force exerted by a charged sphere on other charged objects without any external influences. It is also known as the Coulomb force and is a fundamental force of electromagnetism.

2. How is repulsive force by itself on a charged sphere calculated?

The repulsive force by itself on a charged sphere is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The formula is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where k is the Coulomb constant, q1 and q2 are the charges, and r is the distance between them.

3. Does the size of the charged sphere affect the repulsive force?

Yes, the size of the charged sphere does affect the repulsive force. The larger the charged sphere, the greater the surface area for the charges to interact, resulting in a stronger repulsive force.

4. Can the repulsive force by itself on a charged sphere be negative?

No, the repulsive force by itself on a charged sphere is always positive. Like charges repel each other, so the force will always act in the direction away from the charged sphere.

5. How does the distance between two charged spheres affect the repulsive force?

The repulsive force between two charged spheres is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases, and vice versa. It follows the inverse square law, similar to the force of gravity.