Required speed for two events to be simultaneous

In summary: Ibix already pointed that out in post #6 (and he was hinting at it in post #2). I am not sure why you are arguing so much about this. The point is that your approach does not work for the specific scenario described in the OP because it requires a relative speed of ##c##, which cannot be achieved through a Lorentz boost.
Celso
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing.
I'm doing some exercises about special relativity and one of them asks to find the speed in an arbitrary frame of reference (1) in such a way that it perceives two events at the same time that didn't happen simultaneously in other frame of reference(2).

Is it correct to state that if the distance between the two events in the frame (2) is ##ct_{2}##, and the first event happened when ##t_{2} = t_{1} = 0##, an observer in the frame of reference (1) could only perceive these two events as simultaneous if it were traveling at the speed of light?
What I tought was
##t' = \gamma (t - \frac{ux}{c^2})##
Since ##x = ct_{2}##
##t' = \gamma (\frac{x}{c} - \frac {ux}{c^2})##
For this to be ##0##: ##\frac{x}{c} = \frac{ux}{c^2} \therefore u = c##
Is there anything incorrect here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Celso said:
Is it correct to state that if the distance between the two events in the frame (2) is ##ct_{2}##, and the first event happened when ##t_{2} = t_{1} = 0##, an observer in the frame of reference (1) could only perceive these two events as simultaneous if it were traveling at the speed of light?
What does relativity say about frames with a relative speed of ##c##? (Hint: look at the second postulate)

You could consider a standard Lorentz boost in the ##x##-direction of frame ##1## with a speed ##v##. Then setting the coordinate time of the simultaneous events in frame ##1## to zero to make things easy, you get that ##v## is given by either of the ratios $$|v| = \Bigg|c^2 \frac{t_2^1}{x_2^1} \Bigg| = \Bigg|c^2 \frac{t_2^2}{x_2^2} \Bigg|$$ where the sub-indices labes the frames and the superindices indicates the events, so that e.g. ##t_2^1## is the coordinate time of event ##1## in frame ##2##.

Celso said:
find the speed in an arbitrary frame of reference
the frames cannot be too arbritary, they should be connected by a Lorentz transformation, if they are not, then you are not doing Special Relativity.
Celso said:
perceive these two events as simultaneous if it were traveling at the speed of light?
and the Lorentz transformations are between inertial frames. A frame traveling at speed of light is not inertial, thus cannot be related to a inertial frame through a Lorentz transformation.

Celso said:
Is it correct to state that if the distance between the two events in the frame (2) is ct2ct2ct_{2}, and the first event happened when t2=t1=0t2=t1=0t_{2} = t_{1} = 0, an observer in the frame of reference (1) could only perceive these two events as simultaneous if it were traveling at the speed of light?
What I tought was

Let coordinates of two evens be ##(t_1,x_1)## and ##(t_2,x_2)## in the original frame of reference, they are ##(t'_1,x'_1)## and ##(t'_2,x'_2)## in Lorentz transformed frame transformed by
[tex]x_i'=\gamma(x_i-\beta ct_i)[/tex]
[tex]ct'_i=\gamma(ct_i-\beta x_i)[/tex],where i=1,2. Then in order to meet your interest let times be ##t_1=t_2## so that the two events are simultaneous in the original FR. You will easily find that ##t'_1 \neq t'_2## unless ##x_1 =x_2##, i.e. not two but single event.

Last edited:
Maybe I am misunderstanding the problem. Actually, any non-zero relative speed will do. Just have one reference frame move relative to the other and pick two events that are simultaneous in the first frame and are separated in the direction of motion. They will not be simultaneous in the other reference frame.

FactChecker said:
Maybe I am misunderstanding the problem.
The events are specified to be null separated.

This is not stated in the initial "summary" paragraph. I think this initial summary is a new feature of PF5, and I haven't got used to it yet.

Likes FactChecker
kent davidge said:
You could consider a standard Lorentz boost in the ##x##-direction of frame ##1## with a speed ##v##.

But such a boost is not well-defined if ##v = c##, so there is no way to apply this method to the scenario described in the OP.

kent davidge said:
A frame traveling at speed of light is not inertial

It would be better to say that there is no such thing at all as "a frame traveling at the speed of light". You can have a coordinate chart in which a photon's worldline has all coordinates constant except one; but there is no way to set up a "frame" that corresponds to such a chart, because a "frame" requires certain properties that such a coordinate chart does not have.

Likes FactChecker
PeterDonis said:
But such a boost is not well-defined if ##v = c##, so there is no way to apply this method to the scenario described in the OP.
I don't understand you here. No boost behaves well if ##v = c## and no boost can be applied to the case described in the op. So what's the problem with my particular boost?

kent davidge said:
No boost behaves well if ##v = c## and no boost can be applied to the case described in the op. So what's the problem with my particular boost?

Um, what? If no boost is well defined for ##v = c##, then your boost is not well defined for ##v = c##. So that's the problem with your boost.

PeterDonis said:
Um, what? If no boost is well defined for ##v = c##, then your boost is not well defined for ##v = c##. So that's the problem with your boost.
Yea, I mean, if no boost can do it, then it's not a problem that my boost can't. In other words, my boost can't do it just as any other boost can't do it.

Also, those relations are derived assuming that ##v < c##, so one cannot blindly set ##v = c## up there.

kent davidge said:
if no boost can do it, then it's not a problem that my boost can't.

Yes, it is, because you were trying to apply your boost to the problem at hand. It can't.

kent davidge said:
those relations are derived assuming that ##v < c##, so one cannot blindly set ##v = c## up there.

But the problem statement in the OP requires ##v = c##. Or, to put it another way, the events described in the OP must be null separated. @Ibix already pointed that out in post #6 (and he was hinting at it in post #2).

1. What does it mean for two events to be simultaneous?

Two events are considered simultaneous if they occur at the same time, or if the time interval between them is zero. This means that both events happen at the same moment in time.

2. Why is the required speed for two events to be simultaneous important?

The required speed for two events to be simultaneous is important because it helps us understand the concept of time and how it is relative to an observer's frame of reference. It also plays a crucial role in the theory of relativity.

3. How is the required speed for two events to be simultaneous calculated?

The required speed for two events to be simultaneous can be calculated using the equation v = d/t, where v is the speed, d is the distance between the events, and t is the time interval between them.

4. Can two events be simultaneous for one observer but not for another?

Yes, two events can be simultaneous for one observer but not for another. This is because the concept of simultaneity is relative to an observer's frame of reference. The perception of time can be different for different observers depending on their relative motion and position.

5. How does the speed of light affect the required speed for two events to be simultaneous?

The speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object or information can travel in the universe. This means that the required speed for two events to be simultaneous cannot exceed the speed of light. In fact, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion or position.