1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Requirements for a physics major

1. Jun 13, 2010 #1
    I wanted to know if most schools require you to take any physics classes that are not calculus based.

Also does any one have any suggestions on a good college to go to for physics or mathematics.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2010 #2
    Calculus is an inextricable mathematical tool for studying physics. Courses required in a physics program are at least calculus-based.

4. Jun 13, 2010 #3
    If you're majoring in physics, your first college physics class will be calculus-based, and every other physics class will require knowledge of calculus at some point. There is a reason why Isaac Newton, the original classical physicist, was also one of the original discoverers of calculus as it's known today. The two subjects go hand-in-hand.

As for a good college, it really depends on how smart you are, and how much of that smartness is reflected on paper.

5. Jun 13, 2010 #4
    As a freshman, I am pretty sure first-year chemistry is needed. At least that was what I have been told. To be honest, I am not that certain because I took AP Chemistry

6. Jun 13, 2010 #5
    I would disagree with you. Perhaps in your school that is the case, but in my university a chemistry course is not needed. Each school varies with what is required and what is not.

I suggest that if your looking for a good school, and you are curious about which courses to take to do a little web surfing. There is an awful lot of information on the web concerning your questions, and if you look at the actual University's website you will be getting primary sources.

7. Jun 13, 2010 #6
    Really? First-year Chemistry not needed? Meh, I guess it is different then.

8. Jun 13, 2010 #7
    My physics major requires General Inorganic Chemistry I and II. I'm surprised it's not in some cases.

9. Jun 13, 2010 #8
    yeah - in my program there are no required class, only that you take 3 classes in the humanities and 3 classes in the social sciences, if you are science major. Your major itself is simply physics and math from freshman year to senior year typically - with research and labs and other stuff thrown in intermittently.

Hm out of curiosity, how is orgo I and II necessary to understanding physics? lol if anything I would like to know if I'm jipping myself out of learning something prevalent to the field (even though im preeeetttyyy sure I won't be doing astro-biology or other applied physics field of that nature)

*pardon inorganic chem, well that changes things a little - still I'm not sure how it is absolutely necessary to a physics degree, although I am sure it is valuable to know such basics in general.

10. Jun 13, 2010 #9
    It is certainly valuable in a well-rounded physics education. Anything beyond that in chemistry would be unnecessary. Remember, though, chemistry is simply the physics that governs the atom.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook