Requirements for a physics major

In summary, most schools require students majoring in physics to take calculus-based courses. Isaac Newton, one of the original discoverers of calculus, was also a classical physicist. As for a good college for physics or mathematics, it is important to research and see what courses are required at each university. While some schools may require a chemistry course, others may not. However, a basic understanding of chemistry can be beneficial in understanding physics.
cj2222
I wanted to know if most schools require you to take any physics classes that are not calculus based.

Also does anyone have any suggestions on a good college to go to for physics or mathematics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculus is an inextricable mathematical tool for studying physics. Courses required in a physics program are at least calculus-based.

If you're majoring in physics, your first college physics class will be calculus-based, and every other physics class will require knowledge of calculus at some point. There is a reason why Isaac Newton, the original classical physicist, was also one of the original discoverers of calculus as it's known today. The two subjects go hand-in-hand.

As for a good college, it really depends on how smart you are, and how much of that smartness is reflected on paper.

As a freshman, I am pretty sure first-year chemistry is needed. At least that was what I have been told. To be honest, I am not that certain because I took AP Chemistry

gretun said:
As a freshman, I am pretty sure first-year chemistry is needed. At least that was what I have been told. To be honest, I am not that certain because I took AP Chemistry

I would disagree with you. Perhaps in your school that is the case, but in my university a chemistry course is not needed. Each school varies with what is required and what is not.

I suggest that if your looking for a good school, and you are curious about which courses to take to do a little web surfing. There is an awful lot of information on the web concerning your questions, and if you look at the actual University's website you will be getting primary sources.

Heisenberg. said:
I would disagree with you. Perhaps in your school that is the case, but in my university a chemistry course is not needed. Each school varies with what is required and what is not.

I suggest that if your looking for a good school, and you are curious about which courses to take to do a little web surfing. There is an awful lot of information on the web concerning your questions, and if you look at the actual University's website you will be getting primary sources.

Really? First-year Chemistry not needed? Meh, I guess it is different then.

My physics major requires General Inorganic Chemistry I and II. I'm surprised it's not in some cases.

yeah - in my program there are no required class, only that you take 3 classes in the humanities and 3 classes in the social sciences, if you are science major. Your major itself is simply physics and math from freshman year to senior year typically - with research and labs and other stuff thrown in intermittently.

Hm out of curiosity, how is orgo I and II necessary to understanding physics? lol if anything I would like to know if I'm jipping myself out of learning something prevalent to the field (even though I am preeeetttyyy sure I won't be doing astro-biology or other applied physics field of that nature)

*pardon inorganic chem, well that changes things a little - still I'm not sure how it is absolutely necessary to a physics degree, although I am sure it is valuable to know such basics in general.

Heisenberg. said:
yeah - in my program there are no required class, only that you take 3 classes in the humanities and 3 classes in the social sciences, if you are science major. Your major itself is simply physics and math from freshman year to senior year typically - with research and labs and other stuff thrown in intermittently.

Hm out of curiosity, how is orgo I and II necessary to understanding physics? lol if anything I would like to know if I'm jipping myself out of learning something prevalent to the field (even though I am preeeetttyyy sure I won't be doing astro-biology or other applied physics field of that nature)

*pardon inorganic chem, well that changes things a little - still I'm not sure how it is absolutely necessary to a physics degree, although I am sure it is valuable to know such basics in general.

It is certainly valuable in a well-rounded physics education. Anything beyond that in chemistry would be unnecessary. Remember, though, chemistry is simply the physics that governs the atom.

What courses are required for a physics major?

The specific courses required for a physics major may vary depending on the university or program. However, most physics majors are required to take introductory courses in classical mechanics, electricity and magnetism, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics. They may also be required to take courses in mathematics, such as calculus and linear algebra, as well as laboratory courses.

Is it necessary to have a strong background in math for a physics major?

Yes, a strong background in math is necessary for a physics major. Physics is a highly mathematical field, and students are expected to have a strong foundation in calculus, algebra, and geometry. Many physics concepts are explained using mathematical equations, so it is important for students to have a solid understanding of math to succeed in a physics major.

What skills are necessary for a physics major?

Some essential skills for a physics major include critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. Physics majors should also have a strong attention to detail and be able to work with complex mathematical concepts. Communication and teamwork skills are also important for completing lab work and collaborating with other students and researchers.

What career opportunities are available for physics majors?

Physics majors have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. Some common career paths for physics majors include research and development, data analysis, engineering, education, and consulting. Physics majors can also apply their skills to fields such as finance, healthcare, and technology.

Do physics majors need to attend graduate school?

While it is not necessary for all physics majors to attend graduate school, it is highly recommended. Many careers in physics require at least a master's degree, and a Ph.D. is often needed for research or teaching positions. Graduate school also allows students to specialize in a specific area of physics and gain more hands-on experience through research projects.