Res-Monster Maze: Find Current Through R

• Thread starter STEMucator
  • Start date
In summary: The key is to identify the loops and apply the loop rule. In summary, by applying the loop rule to the two loops in the figure, we can find the current through resistor R to be 2 A.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Res-monster maze. In the following figure, all the resistors have a resistance of ##4.0 \Omega## and all the (ideal) batteries have an emf of ##4.0 V##. What is the current through resistor ##R##?

Homework Equations

##\sum V = 0##
##\sum I = 0##
##V = \epsilon##
##V = IR##

The Attempt at a Solution

See the attached image.

When I look at it, I see two loops. The big loop to the left of ##R## and the smaller loop to the right of it. Would I just apply the equations in that sense?

Left loop:

##\epsilon_1 - i_1R - i_2R' - i_3R'' = 0##

Right loop:

##\epsilon_2 - i_4R''' + i_5R = 0##

EDIT: Wait what if I just find an equivalent resistance for that one standout parallel resistor combination?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-29 at 10.11.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-29 at 10.11.12 PM.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 835
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The easy way is to see whether there exists a string of nothing but pure voltage sources between one end of R and its other end. Any other method will be many orders of magnitude more complicated. :wink:

You know how to play snakes-and-ladders, right?

Likes Eashan Roy and STEMucator
NascentOxygen said:
The easy way is to see whether there exists a string of nothing but pure voltage sources between one end of R and its other end. Any other method will be many orders of magnitude more complicated. :wink:

You know how to play snakes-and-ladders, right?

I attached a picture of what I think you mean.

Writing the loop equation now:

##iR + \epsilon_1 - \epsilon_2 - \epsilon_3 - \epsilon_4 = 0##
##i = \frac{- \epsilon_1 + \epsilon_2 + \epsilon_3 + \epsilon_4}{R}##
##i = \frac{8.0 V}{4.0 \Omega}##
##i = 2 A##

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 12.30.28 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 12.30.28 AM.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,354
Zondrina said:
I attached a picture of what I think you mean.

Writing the loop equation now:

##iR + \epsilon_1 - \epsilon_2 - \epsilon_3 - \epsilon_4 = 0##
##i = \frac{- \epsilon_1 + \epsilon_2 + \epsilon_3 + \epsilon_4}{R}##
##i = \frac{8.0 V}{4.0 \Omega}##
##i = 2 A##

That looks right.

I would first clarify the question and make sure I understand what is being asked. It seems that the question is asking for the current through resistor R, but it is not specified which direction the current is flowing. I would ask for clarification on this point.

Assuming that the current is flowing clockwise in the circuit, I would approach this problem by first finding the equivalent resistance of the parallel combination of resistors R and R''. This can be done using the formula ##R_{eq} = \frac{R_1R_2}{R_1+R_2}##. In this case, ##R_{eq} = \frac{4 \times 4}{4+4} = 2 \Omega##.

Next, I would use Kirchhoff's laws to set up equations for the two loops, as the attempt at a solution suggests. I would then solve the equations simultaneously to find the currents in each loop. Since the current through resistor R is the same in both loops, this will give us the current through resistor R.

Alternatively, I could also use Ohm's law to find the current through resistor R directly, by using the equivalent resistance of the parallel combination and the voltage across it. In this case, ##I = \frac{V}{R} = \frac{4V}{2 \Omega} = 2A##. Therefore, the current through resistor R is 2A.

1. What is Res-Monster Maze: Find Current Through R?

Res-Monster Maze: Find Current Through R is a scientific experiment that aims to measure the electrical current flowing through a resistor (R) by using a maze game. It is designed to make learning about electrical circuits more engaging and interactive.

2. How does Res-Monster Maze work?

The maze is made up of a series of interconnected resistors, with one resistor acting as the "monster" that must be avoided. The player must navigate through the maze by adjusting the values of other resistors to find the path with the lowest resistance, indicating the path with the highest current. The final value of the resistor that was adjusted is the measurement of the current.

3. What is the purpose of Res-Monster Maze?

The purpose of Res-Monster Maze is to provide a fun and interactive way for students and researchers to understand the concept of electrical current and resistance in a circuit. It also allows for hands-on experimentation and data collection, making it a valuable tool for teaching and learning.

4. Is Res-Monster Maze suitable for all ages?

Res-Monster Maze is suitable for anyone interested in learning about electrical circuits, regardless of age. However, it is most commonly used in educational settings for middle school, high school, and college students.

5. How can I access Res-Monster Maze?

Res-Monster Maze is a virtual experiment that can be accessed through various online platforms, such as educational websites or scientific research databases. It can also be downloaded and run on a computer or mobile device. Some institutions may have physical versions of the maze for hands-on experimentation.