Research in mechanical engineering- what is it all about(just general idea)

In summary, research in mechanical engineering involves using simulation or experimentation to understand and solve problems in the field. The necessary qualities for success include curiosity and attention to detail. The type of research may vary depending on individual interests and focus, but the core principles remain the same regardless of specific discipline.
Urmi Roy
Research in mechanical engineering-- what is it all about(just general idea)

Hi,

I'm a student of mechanical engineering and I'd like to do an MS degree following my undergrads.

Up till now, I've had experience in only simulation based research i.e. during my final year project, my instructor asked me to to reproduce a biological system on a software called COMSOL and by varying inputs to the model, we could guess how it would behave if such stimuli were applied to the system in real life.

However, if I do an MS degree, will I be doing this kind of work or is research in MS totally different?

The bottom line is that I need to know what research is all about and what qualities I need to have to be a successful researcher.

How is the research in mechanical engineering different from that in mainstream Physics/Chemistry?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Research is research regardless of whether it is in mechanical engineering or physics. The most important qualities you will need are an inquisitive mind and some measure of attention to detail. The research itself can take many forms depending on your research interests and whether or not you are a computational guy or an experimental guy.

1. What is mechanical engineering research about?

Mechanical engineering research is focused on the study and development of machines, structures, and systems that involve motion. It involves applying principles of physics, mathematics, and material science to design, analyze, and improve mechanical systems.

2. What are some common areas of research in mechanical engineering?

Some common areas of research in mechanical engineering include robotics, fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, materials science, and design optimization. Other areas of interest may include renewable energy, nanotechnology, and biomechanics.

3. How is research in mechanical engineering different from other types of engineering research?

Research in mechanical engineering differs from other types of engineering research in its focus on the design and analysis of mechanical systems, rather than software or electrical systems. It also often involves physical prototyping and testing, in addition to computer simulations and modeling.

4. What are some potential applications of mechanical engineering research?

Mechanical engineering research has a wide range of potential applications, including the development of new products and technologies, improvements in manufacturing processes, advancements in transportation systems, and solutions for energy and environmental challenges.

5. How does research in mechanical engineering contribute to society?

Research in mechanical engineering contributes to society by creating new and improved technologies that enhance our daily lives and improve the efficiency and sustainability of the world around us. It also helps to advance our understanding of physical principles and push the boundaries of what is possible in engineering.