Researching ball falling into fluids

In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to create an OpenGL representation of a non-deformable object being dropped onto a liquid surface. The surface will be made up of a grid with surface maps, and the goal is to calculate the wave equation in response to the object's impact. The person also mentions wanting to change the viscosity to simulate materials like sand and using a parallel implementation on graphics cards. They are seeking reference material to help them with the equations of motion for each point on the grid, and they recommend the book "Transport Phenomena" by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot for help.
fsteveb
I want to write a opengl (graphical) representation of a non-deformable ball or other shape in general being dropped onto a liquid surface. The surface will consist of a grid with surface maps. So I need to calculate I assume the wave equation in response to the object impact. Once I get the water dynamics working I'd like to change the viscosity up to a material like sand. I want to use this as a parallel implementation on graphics cards. I already know the graphics side. I just need some reference help to get me started on getting the equations of motion at each point in the grid. Any help/info is appreciated.
Steve

Physics news on Phys.org
Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot.

FAQ: Researching ball falling into fluids

1. How does the density of the fluid affect the speed of the ball's descent?

The density of the fluid plays a significant role in determining the speed at which a ball falls into it. A denser fluid will provide more resistance to the ball, causing it to fall slower. On the other hand, a less dense fluid will offer less resistance, allowing the ball to fall faster.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a ball falling into a fluid?

The trajectory of a ball falling into a fluid can be influenced by various factors, including the density and viscosity of the fluid, the shape and size of the ball, and the initial velocity of the ball. Additionally, external forces such as air resistance and surface tension can also impact the trajectory of the ball.

3. How does the viscosity of the fluid affect the behavior of the ball?

The viscosity of a fluid refers to its resistance to flow. A more viscous fluid will provide more resistance to the ball, causing it to fall slower. On the other hand, a less viscous fluid will offer less resistance, allowing the ball to fall faster. The viscosity of a fluid can also affect the shape and size of the wake formed behind the falling ball.

4. What methods are used to measure the speed of a ball falling into a fluid?

There are various methods for measuring the speed of a ball falling into a fluid, including high-speed cameras, motion sensors, and flow visualization techniques. High-speed cameras are commonly used to capture the motion of the ball, which can then be analyzed to determine its speed. Motion sensors can also be used to measure the velocity of the falling ball. Flow visualization techniques, such as dye tracing or particle tracking, can provide visual representations of the fluid flow around the falling ball.

5. How does the shape of the ball affect its behavior when falling into a fluid?

The shape of the ball can have a significant impact on its behavior when falling into a fluid. A more streamlined shape will experience less air resistance and have a more predictable trajectory. On the other hand, a less aerodynamic shape may experience more air resistance, causing it to fall slower and in a less predictable path. The shape of the ball can also affect the wake formed behind it, which can impact the fluid flow and the ball's behavior.