Reshetikhin-Turaev Invariant of Manifolds

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter nateHI
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Invariant Manifolds
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
nateHI
Messages
145
Reaction score
4
The Reshetikhin-Turavev construction comes with an invariant that is sometimes called the Reshetikhin-Turaev Invariant. I'm currently attempting to wrap my head around this construction but was hoping for a sneak peak to help motivate me. My question is, what does the Reshetikhin-Turaev Invariant measure? I mean, if it's an invariant of a space it must give you some information about the space itself right?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
I stumbled onto the answer to my own question. I'm sufficiently motivated now. Anyway, the Reshetikhin-Turaev Invariant of a 3-manifold obtained from surgery on a link in #S^3# are colored jones polynomials of the link. Roughly (very roughly), calculate the Reshetikhin-Turaev Invariant of a knot compliment and you get the Jones Polynomial. Colored Jones polynomials sometimes have a geometric meaning.