Residue Calculation for Integral of e^(1/z^2) over Circle |z|=2

  • Thread starter Thread starter player1_1_1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
player1_1_1
Messages
112
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


[tex]\int\limits_Ce^{\frac{1}{z^2}}\mbox{d}z[/tex] where [tex]C[/tex] is circle [tex]|z|=2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


[tex]\sum\limits^{\infty}_{j=0}\frac{z^{-2j}}{j!}=1+\frac{1}{z^2}+\frac{1}{2!z^4}+\ldots[/tex]
[tex]I=2\pi ic_{-1}=2\pi i[/tex]
correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
c_(-1)=0

This is what you may want to consider: just solve it numerically to check your answer. It's easy in Mathematica:

NIntegrate[Exp[1/z^2] 2 I Exp[I t]/.z->2 Exp[I t],{t,0,2 Pi}]
 
No, that is not correct. Since that series contains an infinite number of terms with negative exponent, z= 0 is an "essential singularity", not a pole. You cannot use residues to find the integral.
 
thanks for answer, why [tex]c_{-1}=0[/tex] then? maybe i wrote this series wrong?
 
okay, and what if i had [tex]\int\limits_Ce^{\frac1z}\mbox{d}z[/tex], can i use residues here? is there pole in [tex]z=0[/tex]?
 
HallsofIvy said:
No, that is not correct. Since that series contains an infinite number of terms with negative exponent, z= 0 is an "essential singularity", not a pole. You cannot use residues to find the integral.

I believe you are in error sir. It is indeed an essential singularity but that does not change in the slightest the fact that the Residue Theorem still applies.
 
player1_1_1 said:
okay, and what if i had [tex]\int\limits_Ce^{\frac1z}\mbox{d}z[/tex], can i use residues here? is there pole in [tex]z=0[/tex]?

Yes you can but don't want to pick a fight with Hall. Now what do you think the answer is based on it's series representation? How can you now change the Mathematica code above and confirm your answer?
 
player1_1_1 said:
thanks for answer, why [tex]c_{-1}=0[/tex] then? maybe i wrote this series wrong?

Well that one too: c_(-1) is the 1/z term right as in -1. So c_(-2) is the 1/z^2 term right? Same dif with the rest of them.