How is the residue computed for a simple pole in the book on prime numbers?

• Thread starter camilus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Poles
In summary, The conversation is about a book on prime numbers and a confusion over a residue computation. The speaker is getting an extra factor of 1/2 in the residue whereas the book does not mention it. They are trying to clarify if they are doing the computation correctly. The residue is being computed for f(s) = {\xi (s) \over s(s-1)}z^{{-1 \over 2}s} at s=1 and the speaker is getting a result of {1 \over 2\sqrt{z}} while the book states it should be just 1/sqrt(z). A link is provided for confirmation of the residue without the z^-s/2 factor.
camilus
my book on prime numbers has a line where it skims over a residue computation, and I am in dire need of clarification. It's rather simple, and I may very well be the one mistaken, but I am getting a extra factor of 1/2 in the residue whereas in the book it does not appear and apparently isn't a typo either.

We have [tex]\psi (z) = \sum_{n \in \textbf{N}} e^{-n^2\pi z} = {1 \over 2\pi i}\int_{c-i\infty}^{c+i\infty} {\xi (s) \over s(s-1)}z^{{-1 \over 2}s}ds[/tex] for c>1 and R(z)>0.

next, we move the line of integration left to R(s)=1/2 passing the simple pole at s=1 with residue 1/sqrt(z):

[tex]\psi (z) = {1 \over 2\pi i}\int_{1/2-i\infty}^{1/2+i\infty} {\xi (s) \over s(s-1)}z^{{-1 \over 2}s}ds + {1 \over \sqrt{z}}[/tex]

and for some reason I am getting that the last term should be [tex]{1 \over 2\sqrt{z}}[/tex]The extra 1/2 is coming from the fact that [tex]\xi (1) = 1/2[/tex] when computing the residue of Res(f,1) when [tex]f(s) = {\xi (s) \over s(s-1)}z^{{-1 \over 2}s}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
The book just states that passing the simple pole leaves a residue of 1/sqrt(z), just as posted above. Can someone see if I am doing this correctly..?

Basically I am computing the residue for [tex]f(s) = {\xi (s) \over s(s-1)}z^{{-1 \over 2}s}[/tex] at s=1 as such:

[tex]Res(f,1) = \lim_{s \rightarrow 1} (s-1)*{\xi (s) \over s(s-1)}z^{{-1 \over 2}s} = {\xi (1) \over 1}z^{{-1 \over 2}}={1 \over 2\sqrt{z}[/tex]

the following link computes the same residue without the z^-s/2 factor. since there is no problems for letting s->1 in that factor so just multiply the link by z^-1/2...

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=residue+of+(xi+function)/(z(z-1))+at+z=1

1) What exactly are "residues over simple poles"?

Residues over simple poles refer to the concept in complex analysis where a function has a singularity at a certain point, known as a pole, and the residue is the value of the function at that point. A simple pole is a type of singularity where the function can be written as a Laurent series with a finite number of terms.

2) How are residues over simple poles calculated?

To calculate the residue over a simple pole, you can use the formula Res(f,z0) = lim(z→z0) (z-z0)f(z), where z0 is the location of the pole. This formula is derived from the Cauchy Residue Theorem, which states that the value of the residue is equal to the coefficient of the (z-z0)^-1 term in the Laurent series of the function around z0.

3) What are some applications of residues over simple poles in science?

Residues over simple poles have various applications in science, particularly in physics and engineering. They can be used to solve problems related to electric circuits, fluid mechanics, and signal processing. In quantum mechanics, residues over simple poles are used to calculate the probability of transition between energy levels in atoms.

4) Can residues over simple poles be negative?

Yes, residues over simple poles can be negative. The value of the residue depends on the function and the location of the pole. It can be positive, negative, or even zero. The sign of the residue does not affect its calculation or application, but it can provide information about the behavior of the function around the singularity.

5) Are residues over simple poles limited to functions with only one pole?

No, residues over simple poles can also be calculated for functions with multiple simple poles. In this case, the residue is calculated for each pole separately, and then the values are added together. The Cauchy Residue Theorem can also be extended to functions with multiple poles and can be used to calculate the total residue at a point.