Resistance as a Function of Temperature

In summary, the resistance of a copper wire decreases with temperature, but the resistance of a resistor does not.
NewtonsHead

Homework Statement

Well this isn't a homework problem, but I am writing a lab report for a lab we did concerning the change in resistance as a function of temperature.

Everything I have read says that the resistance in conductors should increase with temperature, but all of our data shows that resistance decreases as temperature increases. This was shown in a resistor, commercial resistor, diode, and copper wire. However, the resistance of an inductor DID increase as temperature increased. I don't know why all of our data doesn't support what I am learning. Nothing about our experiment would have yielded such results so I think I may be understanding it the wrong way.

The only reason I can think of is that our components were somehow semi-conductors because the resistance of semi-conductors decreases as temperature increases just like our data.

Anyone know what's going on?

Physics news on Phys.org
The resistance of the copper wire should have increased with temperature.

But for resistors, that depends on how they're made. Precision resistors are actually a blend of two (or more?) materials, one of which has a + temp. coefficient and one a -. The mfr. tries to blend the mixture to get zero coeff but obviously they're going to miss on either side by some amount.

A diode doesn't have 'resistance ' per se because its i-V characteristic is not linear. But in the expression i = i0 exp(V/VT), VT = kT/q so obviously that affects the i-V curve. (q=electronic charge k = Boltzmann constan, T = kelvin temperature).

No telling what the inductance should have done with temperature.

It seems that the resistors we used had a negative temp. coefficient which is weird. All I can do is blame how the parts were made?

NewtonsHead said:
It seems that the resistors we used had a negative temp. coefficient which is weird. All I can do is blame how the parts were made?

Either that or what we in the trade call "ESO" = "equipment smarter than operator"! :smile:

I would lean toward the latter, unfortunately, since you found a negative temp. coefficient for the copper wire.

No offense taken but does that imply that we just used the equipment wrong or that the equipment malfunctioned? I still have to compare results with others who did the experiment to see if this was common.

Without knowing more about your setup I'm afraid I cannot judge on that.

The more you describe the details of your setup the more likely it is that I can help out.

1. What is resistance as a function of temperature?

Resistance as a function of temperature is a concept in physics that describes the relationship between the temperature of a material and its electrical resistance. It states that as the temperature of a material increases, its resistance also increases.

2. Why does resistance increase with temperature?

This is due to the fact that as the temperature of a material increases, the atoms in the material vibrate more vigorously, causing more collisions between electrons and the atoms. These collisions impede the flow of electrons, resulting in an increase in resistance.

3. Is the relationship between resistance and temperature the same for all materials?

No, the relationship between resistance and temperature can vary depending on the type of material. Some materials, known as conductors, have a positive temperature coefficient of resistance, meaning their resistance increases with temperature. Other materials, known as semiconductors, have a negative temperature coefficient of resistance, meaning their resistance decreases with temperature.

4. How is resistance as a function of temperature measured?

Resistance as a function of temperature can be measured using a device called a thermistor, which is a type of resistor that changes its resistance with temperature. The thermistor is connected to a circuit and as the temperature changes, the resistance of the thermistor changes, allowing for the measurement of resistance as a function of temperature.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding resistance as a function of temperature?

Understanding resistance as a function of temperature is important in the design and operation of electronic devices and circuits. It is also crucial in industries such as power generation and distribution, where changes in temperature can affect the performance and efficiency of electrical systems. Additionally, this concept is used in the development of temperature sensors and thermometers.