Calculating electrode current density

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the surface area of an exposed electrode should only include the areas touching the electrolyte when calculating the required current density. It is concluded that surfaces not in contact with the solution are not relevant and therefore should not be included in the calculation."
Zensation
This is more electrical engineering than chemistry I would think.

If the current density required is 200mA per cm^2, and the electrode is a hollow copper tube that is submersed in an electrolyte in which the inside of the tube is not touching any solution, should the current be calculated based on strictly the part of the copper that is touching the solution, or all of the copper surface area?

Should the surface area of an exposed electrode only be considered the areas that are touching and conducting in the electrolyte? Or should the areas not touching be included as well, when it comes to calculating the current based off the required current density?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The required current density of what? Probably the contact surface to the solution - in this case, the answer is directly in the definition.

Surfaces not touching anything (except air) are probably not relevant.

Thank you :).

That's what I was thinking as I was typing the post out but I wanted to make sure. That sure does simplify things a lot for me.

1. What is electrode current density?

Electrode current density is a measure of the amount of current passing through a specific area of an electrode. It is typically expressed in units of amperes per square meter (A/m^2).

2. How is electrode current density calculated?

The formula for calculating electrode current density is: J = I/A, where J is the current density in A/m^2, I is the current in amperes, and A is the surface area of the electrode in square meters.

3. Why is electrode current density important?

Electrode current density is important because it affects the efficiency and performance of electrochemical processes. Too high of a current density can lead to electrode degradation, while too low of a current density can result in slow reaction rates.

4. What factors can affect electrode current density?

Several factors can affect electrode current density, including the applied voltage, electrode material, electrolyte concentration, temperature, and electrode surface area. Changes in any of these factors can impact the current density.

5. How can electrode current density be controlled?

Electrode current density can be controlled by adjusting the parameters that affect it, such as the applied voltage, electrolyte concentration, and electrode surface area. It is also important to carefully select the appropriate electrode material for the desired current density.