How can I find the current for each resistor in this circuit?

In summary: So the net potential has to be 0 everywhere?In summary, the student is asking for help with a math problem that he is unable to solve. He is trying to use Kirchhoff's laws, but is having difficulty understanding them. He is also trying to solve the problem using mesh analysis, but is having difficulty understanding that as well.
Octoshark

Homework Statement

Consider the group of resistors shown in the figure below, where R1 = 4.4 Ω and E = 8.7 V (that is supposed to be the greek "E" that looks like a backwards "3")

Find the current for each resistor:

21-37alt.gif

Homework Equations

V = IR?
E = I(R1 + R2 +R3...)?

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is that my teacher is very bad and students have actually started a petition against her because she messes everything up and confuses herself. This is the last class I need in order to graduate, so I am in desperate need of help. I know you guys don't do the problem for me, all I need is for you guys point me in the right direction for this.

E = I(Req) so I = E/Req

I don't even know how to start, please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
you can solve this problem using "kirchhoff's law" ..

Its impossible to teach this to myself, you don't understand how bad this teacher is. Some fellow students and I were talking about this class after lecture and we all agreed that this lady should never have been hired.

I can't figure this out at all.

E = (I1)(R4.4) - (I2)(R1.2) - (I3)(R9.8) = 0

That got me nowhere :(

(I4)(R6.7) = (I2)(R1.2) got me nowhere either

u can solve it using mesh analysis or by superposition law...
lets solve it using mesh analysis:
consider the left mesh with I1 traversing it in clockwise direction: then: 12v=I1(R1+1.2+9.8) so u can get I1
consider the right mesh with I2 traversing it also in clock wise direction: then: -E=I2(1.2+6.7) so u can get I2.
in a result:resistors (R1 and 9.8) have I1 traversing them
resistor 6.7 has I2 traversing it
and finally resistor 1.2 has (I1-I2) traversing it in downward direction

12V = I1(4.4 + 1.2 + 9.8)

12V = I1(15.4)

I1 = 12V/15.4

I1 = .779 which doesn't get me anywhere either :(

yes I1=0.779 A...where is the problem?

this the current traversing R1 (from left to right)
and this current also traversing 9.8ohm (from right to left)..

same way u calculate I2 (in the second mesh and in clock wise direction)...which is the current traversing 6.7 ohm...then ( I1-I2 ) is the current traversing 1.2 ohm

note: i test this circuit on the multisim 9 program..and i get the expected values using this method (mesh analysis)

I have to find the current running through each resistor, and isn't that equation V=IR?

I know V, I know R, and I know "I" so there is nothing for me to solve for. Or am I supposed to be using a different equation?

Sorry for not knowing this better, but my teacher is the worst.

yes sure V=IR is always valid (thats Ohm's law giving ralation between V and I across any resistor)...
but the above method (mesh analysis) gives u directly all the currents you need in any branch of the circuit..and so, you can get V across each resistor (using Ohms law V=IR)...
i think its hard to find V first..unless you use superposition law,but though superposition law can also find the currents instead of V...

Kirchoff's laws are not difficult to understand. The first says that the potential across any closed loop is 0. That's pretty obvious: every point has to have a certain potential, so if you add up the potential increases and potential decreases across every resistor in a closed loop, you'll get 0 when you reach exactly the same point you started on. When current flows through a resistor, potential DROPS by V=IR; when current flows through a battery, potential could increase or decrease, depending on whether it flows from negative to positive or positive to negative.

The second of Kirchoff's laws is the law that current can never be "lost". If too wires combine into a single wire, the single wire must have a current of I1+I2; if it doesn't, that means some charge was lost, and that's not possible.

To solve circuits using Kirchoff's laws, start by assuming that current flows in a certain direction in each of the wire segments. It doesn't matter which direction you chose; if you chose the wrong one, your answer will turn out to be negative, but its magnitude will still be correct. Then apply Kirchoff's voltage law to as many closed loops as you can find. Do the same with Kirchoff's current law; find as many junctions as possible. Then solve the resulting system of equations. Some may be redundant; you'll know this if you have more equations than unknowns.

Since I have to find the current for all 4 resistors can someone please show me how to solve the problem for 1 of the resistors and then let me solve for the remaining 3 on my own?

Would that be fair? I can't afford to let this bad teacher ruin my graduation.

If the net potential in a closed loop has to be 0 then I would think the current flowing through all 4 resistors is the same...

Anybody?

Ok, guess not :(

Solved it! Thanks everybody ;)

Took a loooong time but it eventually clicked

1. What is the purpose of resistors in an electrical circuit?

Resistors are used to control the flow of current in an electrical circuit. They limit the amount of current that can pass through a circuit, which can help protect sensitive components from damage.

2. How are resistors measured and what is the unit of measurement?

Resistors are measured in ohms (Ω), which is the unit of measurement for electrical resistance. The value of a resistor is usually indicated by colored bands on its body, or it can be measured using a multimeter.

3. How does the resistance of a resistor affect the current in a circuit?

The resistance of a resistor is directly proportional to the current in a circuit. This means that as the resistance increases, the current decreases, and vice versa.

4. Can resistors be used to increase current in a circuit?

No, resistors are used to limit or decrease current in a circuit. To increase current, a different component such as a transistor or amplifier would need to be used.

5. How do resistors affect the brightness of a light bulb in a circuit?

The brightness of a light bulb is affected by the amount of current passing through it. By adding a resistor to the circuit, the amount of current can be controlled, which in turn can affect the brightness of the light bulb. A higher resistance resistor will decrease the current and make the bulb appear dimmer, while a lower resistance resistor will increase the current and make the bulb appear brighter.