What Is the Maximum Voltage for a Circuit with Series and Parallel Resistors?

In summary, the total resistance of the circuit can be found by adding the resistances in series and parallel. Using the formula for wattage, the current in the series resistance can be calculated and checked against the maximum wattage rating. If it is less than the maximum, the total resistance can be used to find the maximum voltage supply. If not, the minimum current in the parallel combination can be used to find the maximum voltage supply.
knobles8179

Homework Statement

A 2.7 kOhms and a 3.8 kOhms resistor are connected in parallel; this combination is connected in series with a 1.5 kOhms resistor.
If each resistor is rated at 0.9 W (maximum without overheating), what is the maximum voltage that can be applied across the whole network?

Homework Equations

parallel resistors 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 ...
resistors in a series Req = R1 + R2 + R3 +...
Vab = E- IR
I= V/Req

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no idea. please help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Using the formula for wattage
w = I^2*R, find the current in resistance in series.
This is the current drawn from the battery.
Using this current, check the wattage of the individual resistance in the parallel combination. If it is less than 0.9 W, proceed further to find the total resistance of the circuit. Then V = I*Req.
If not, find the current in the individual resistance in the parallel combination for 0.9 w dissipation. Take the minimum current for finding the maximum voltage supply.

1. What is a resistor?

A resistor is an electrical component that is used to limit the flow of electric current in a circuit. It is typically made of a material that has high electrical resistance, such as carbon or metal alloys.

2. How does a resistor work?

Resistors work by converting electrical energy into heat. When current flows through a resistor, the electrons in the material collide with atoms, causing resistance and dissipating energy in the form of heat.

3. Why are resistors important in circuits?

Resistors are important in circuits because they allow us to control the amount of current flowing in a circuit. This is essential for regulating the voltage and preventing damage to other components.

4. What units are used to measure resistance?

The unit of resistance is ohms (Ω), named after the German physicist Georg Ohm. Other commonly used units include kilohms (kΩ) and megohms (MΩ).

5. How do you calculate the resistance of a resistor?

The resistance of a resistor can be calculated using Ohm's law: R = V/I, where R is resistance, V is voltage, and I is current. The resistance value is also indicated by the color bands on the resistor, which can be decoded using a resistor color code chart.