1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resolving an Integral by Upper and Lower Sums

1. Feb 3, 2013 #1
    So, the problem statement says that i have to determinate the Upper and Lower Sums that aproximate the area under the graph given by the next function: [tex]f(x) = x^3[/tex] in the interval[0,1] with a partition of 0,2

So, i preoceeded to determinate the Upper and Lower Sums but I dont come up with the righ answer (i know because i corroborated by getting the resault of the integral [itex]\int x^3\, dx[/itex] betwen 0 and 1, with my calculator)

P={0; 0,2; 0,4; 0,6; 0,8;1}
    [itex]L(f,P) = \sum^{5}_{i=0}[/itex]mi(ti-ti-1) = [itex](0^3)(0,2) + (0,2^3)(0,2) + (0,4^3)(0,2) + (0,6^3)(0,2) + (0,8^3)(0,2) = 0,10[/itex]

That is just plain wrong but i dont know what im doing wrong...well i wont redact how i did the Upper sums because i guess you got the point...

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2013 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I get 0.016 --- or as you write it, 0,016 .

4. Feb 3, 2013 #3
    Yes, sorry I posted the answer wrong, its 0.16, but what concerns me is that if i did it ok or is wrong the preocedure...

5. Feb 3, 2013 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The procedure is correct. (Lower sum)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook