Resonance - from Feynman lectures

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the Feynman lectures, specifically the derivation of equation 23.12 in Chapter 23 on Resonance. The person asks for help and receives a response explaining the use of Euler's formula and separation of real and imaginary parts to solve the equation.
rpthomps
Good afternoon,

I am working my way through the Feynman lectures and I am stumped at Chapter 23, Resonance. Specifically, the derivation of equation 23.12. I have followed up to that point but the appearance of tan (theta) baffles me. The equation is below:

2s8jx3a.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to use Euler's formula along with a separation of the real and imaginary parts:
$$
\begin{align}
e^{-i \theta} &= \omega_0^2 - \omega^2 + i \gamma \omega \\
\cos \theta - i \sin \theta &= \omega_0^2 - \omega^2 + i \gamma \omega
\end{align}
$$
from which you get that ##\cos \theta = \omega_0^2 - \omega^2## and ##\sin \theta = -\gamma \omega##

Likes 1 person
Thanks DrClaude. That's very helpful.

1. What is resonance?

Resonance is a phenomenon in which a system vibrates at a higher amplitude when exposed to a periodic force at the system's natural frequency.

2. How does resonance occur?

Resonance occurs when a system's natural frequency matches the frequency of an external force acting on it, causing the system to vibrate at a higher amplitude.

3. What are some examples of resonance?

Some examples of resonance include a swinging pendulum, a tuning fork, and a guitar string.

4. What are the consequences of resonance?

The consequences of resonance can include a significant increase in the amplitude of the vibrations, which can cause damage or failure in the system if the vibrations become too strong.

5. How can resonance be controlled or prevented?

Resonance can be controlled or prevented by changing the frequency of the external force or by altering the system's natural frequency through design modifications. Additionally, adding damping or energy dissipation mechanisms can reduce the effects of resonance.