Phase/Amplitude Resonance in Mirrors System

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework assignment involving a system of 4 mirrors, one of which has partial transmission while the rest have none. The task is to plot the ratio of the exiting and entering E-field of a wave and determine if the system exhibits resonance in phase or amplitude. The person also asks for clarification on what resonance in phase or amplitude means.
semc

Homework Statement

I am given a system of 4 mirrors, 1 of it partially transmit while the rest have 0 transmittance. I am ask to plot the ratio of the E-field of the wave exiting and entering the system and comment on whether this system exhibit resonance in phase or in amplitude. I just want to ask what does resonance in phase or in amplitude mean.

Physics news on Phys.org
semc said:

Homework Statement

I am given a system of 4 mirrors, 1 of it partially transmit while the rest have 0 transmittance. I am ask to plot the ratio of the E-field of the wave exiting and entering the system and comment on whether this system exhibit resonance in phase or in amplitude. I just want to ask what does resonance in phase or in amplitude mean.

How are the mirrors arranged? This may determine the answer to your question.

I am not really looking for the answer to that question. I just don't know what does resonance in phase means. Anyway I tried drawing the system hope its not too bad. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• New Bitmap Image.bmp
    265.1 KB · Views: 500

Related to Phase/Amplitude Resonance in Mirrors System

1. What is phase/amplitude resonance in mirror systems?

Phase/amplitude resonance in mirror systems is a phenomenon in which the light waves reflected off two or more mirrors align in such a way that the amplitude and phase of the waves reinforce each other, resulting in a significant increase in the intensity of the reflected light.

2. How does phase/amplitude resonance occur in mirror systems?

Phase/amplitude resonance occurs when the distance between the mirrors is equal to an integer multiple of the wavelength of the light being reflected. This causes the reflected waves to interfere constructively, resulting in a stronger reflection.

3. What is the difference between phase and amplitude resonance?

Phase resonance refers to the alignment of the phase of the reflected waves, while amplitude resonance refers to the alignment of the amplitude of the waves. Both types of resonance can occur simultaneously in a mirror system.

4. What are the practical applications of phase/amplitude resonance in mirror systems?

Phase/amplitude resonance is used in a variety of applications, such as in lasers, interferometers, and optical filters. It can also be used to enhance the sensitivity of optical sensors and improve the resolution of imaging systems.

5. Can phase/amplitude resonance be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, phase/amplitude resonance can be controlled by adjusting the distance between the mirrors or by changing the angle of incidence of the light. It can also be manipulated by using different types of mirrors or by introducing other materials in between the mirrors to alter the refractive index.