1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resonant frequency of this pendulum?

1. Sep 16, 2013 #1
    Hi everyone,

I'm planning a simple experiment for my school, which involves fixing a mass M onto a rod of length L made of a copper alloy.

Suppose I drive it capacitively, how do I find the resonant frequency of this simple oscillator? I need its resonant frequency to be about 400-500Hz, which would depend on it's geometry.

I know its:

-modulus of elasticity
    -density
    -Shear modulus
    -torsion constant

6dswnp.png

I have found that the force varies on sin2(ωt), so the drive frequency of the oscillator is the drive frequency of the voltage. I know that at resonance, the amplitude is approxiamtely

≈ Q(τ/k)

but what I need to find is its resonant frequency.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There is a formula for the required force to bend a beam with a certain height (here: width) and length by a certain amount. That will look like a spring constant, so you can solve it similar to a spring pendulum.

4. Sep 17, 2013 #3
    I see, do you know where I can look up an explanation of the formula?

5. Sep 17, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook