Restriction Enzymes: Interference & Impacts on DNA

• Thread starter MaxNumbers
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Enzymes
In summary, when using two different restriction enzymes in the same reaction, there should be no problem as long as the restriction sites do not overlap. The major issue to watch out for is the buffer used, as it can affect the efficiency of the enzyme. It is important to not add more than 10% of the enzyme and to be mindful of the amount of glycerol present, as it can inhibit cutting. There are exceptions to this rule, which can be found on a reliable source. Additionally, it is important to ensure that the buffer conditions are the same and to adjust the amount of enzyme if needed. Overall, using two or more different restriction enzymes should not cause significant issues as long as proper precautions are taken.
MaxNumbers
I'm wondering if, when put into the DNA together, two different restriction enzymes will interfere with each other, and how. Will two different restriction enzymes cut the DNA as they each would separately, since they are specifically formed to react with it and not each other, or would they disturb each other? Or, is this a case-by-case issue?

Biology news on Phys.org
There is usually no problem when using two restriction enzyme in the same reaction. It will only be a problem if you restriction site of you two enzymes overlap. The major problem is usually the buffer used. The condition of the reaction will affect the effcienty of the enzyme.

You need to be careful that you don't add more enzyme than 10% of the reaction, the glycerol will inhibit the cutting. There shouldn't be interference, though Ian makes a good point that there might be a problem if the two restriction sites overlap, it wouldn't be smart wanting to cut DNA with such like enzymes anyway, so I don't think that will ever be the case :)

Be carefull that the buffer conditions are the same, adjust the amount of enzyme if one enzyme cuts less efficiently in a certain buffer.

I agree with Ian, as two restriction enzymes could cancel each other out, or, worse, cut each other up instead, and then you'd have a whole big (relatively :wink: ) mess to clean up. As long as the restriction sites don't overlap or are too near each other, then using two or more different enzymes shouldn't present too much of a problem.

Chaos. Disorder. Widespread panic. My work is done here.

Last edited:
Restriction enzymes don't cut each other. Double digests are perfectly safe if both enzymes work in the supplied buffer. For some reason there are exceptions which can be found on the following site http://www.neb.com/nebecomm/tech_reference/restriction_enzymes/double_digests.asp I think that is because of buffering conditions and not recognition sequence competition.

ps. glycerol should be less than 5% to prevent star activity.

Last edited by a moderator:

What are restriction enzymes and how do they work?

Restriction enzymes are proteins that are found in bacteria and are used to cut DNA at specific sequences. They work by recognizing and binding to specific sequences of DNA, called restriction sites, and then cutting the DNA at those sites.

What is the purpose of using restriction enzymes?

The main purpose of using restriction enzymes is to manipulate and study DNA. They are commonly used in genetic engineering to cut and paste specific sequences of DNA, allowing scientists to insert or remove specific genes in an organism's DNA.

What is the difference between Type I, Type II, and Type III restriction enzymes?

Type I and Type III restriction enzymes cut DNA at random sites away from their recognition sequences, while Type II restriction enzymes cut DNA at specific sequences. Type II restriction enzymes are the most commonly used in genetic engineering because they cut DNA at predictable and specific locations.

How do restriction enzymes impact DNA?

Restriction enzymes can have both positive and negative impacts on DNA. They can be used to manipulate and study DNA, but they can also cause mutations if they cut at unintended locations. Additionally, restriction enzymes can be used as a defense mechanism in bacteria to protect against viral infections.

What are some potential ethical concerns surrounding the use of restriction enzymes?

One major ethical concern is the potential for misuse of restriction enzymes in genetic engineering, which could have unintended consequences on the environment or human health. There is also concern about the ownership and patenting of restriction enzymes, as well as the potential for discrimination based on genetic information obtained through their use.