Resultant Force on -2x10^-6 C Point Charge Near 3 & -4x10^-6 C

In summary: The angle between the force vector and the x axis is the same as the angle between the displacement vector and the x axis. The magnitude of the force vector, F, is related to the magnitude of the displacement vector, r, by:F = Qqk/r^2where k is Coulomb's constant and Q and q are the two charges. The x and y components of the force vector are:x component = F cos Ay component = F sin Awhere A is the angle made by the force vector with the x axis. (Note that the displacement vector and the force vector make the same angle with the x axis, so this A is the same for both vectors.)The resultant force
wheybags

Homework Statement

Determine the resultant force acting on a point charge of -2 x 10 ^-6 C situated at the origin of a rectangular coordinate system in the vicinity of point charges 3x10^-6 C and -4x10^-6 C at distances 0.12 m along the positive x-axis and 0.08m along the half-line x=y where x,y>0 respectively.

Homework Equations

Coulomb's law

The Attempt at a Solution

I used Coulomb's law twice, taking first the first and second points, the the first and third points, and got -3.75 and 11.25 respectively.
However, the answer is supposedly 14.15 < 34.20°, which I am nowhere near to, and do not even understand.
Help greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
wheybags said:

Homework Statement

Determine the resultant force acting on a point charge of -2 x 10 ^-6 C situated at the origin of a rectangular coordinate system in the vicinity of point charges 3x10^-6 C and -4x10^-6 C at distances 0.12 m along the positive x-axis and 0.08m along the half-line x=y where x,y>0 respectively.

Homework Equations

Coulomb's law

The Attempt at a Solution

I used Coulomb's law twice, taking first the first and second points, the the first and third points, and got -3.75 and 11.25 respectively.
This is the correct magnitude of the two force vectors (what are the units?). What do you get for the magnitude and direction of the vector sum of these two force vectors?
However, the answer is supposedly 14.15 < 34.20°, which I am nowhere near to, and do not even understand.
That answer does not appear to be correct. You can easily tell the general direction of the resultant force - it has to be below the line x=y where x,y<0

AM

Andrew Mason said:
What do you get for the magnitude and direction of the vector sum of these two force vectors?

I don't know how to do that... Sorry, I'm pretty awful at this.
Could anyone perhaps do out a step-by-step solution? I could use it as an example for other questions.

One thing i like to do when it comes down to charge and vectors is to first find the force Qqk/r then later multiply it by its respective i j k multipliers

Eg. F(cos a i + sin a J).

Then i do this for both charges and sum up the respective vectors.

wheybags said:
I don't know how to do that... Sorry, I'm pretty awful at this.
Could anyone perhaps do out a step-by-step solution? I could use it as an example for other questions.
Ok. The force from the charge that is .12 m away on the x-axis is +3.75 N attractive so it is in the direction of the +x axis. Draw an arrow from the origin with a length of 3.75 N pointing in the positive x direction. We write that vector as: (3.75,0)

The force that is .08 m away on the line x = y, which is 45 degrees above the x axis, is -11.25 N, repulsive, so it is away from that charge ie. in a direction of 180+45 = 225 degrees. The x component of that force is 11.25cos 225 = -7.95 N. The y component is the same: 11.25 sin 225 = -7.95 N. We write that vector as: (-7.95, -7.95) .

To find the resultant vector, add them: (3.75,0) + (-7.95, -7.95). To do this, add the x components to find the x component of the sum of those two vectors: x component = 3.75-7.95 = -4.20 N. The y component of the resultant is -7.95 + 0 = -7.95 N.

So the result is a vector (-4.2,-7.95).

Can you work out the length and the direction of that vector?

AM

Last edited:
I don't understand why you reversed the sign of the two charges.

Also:

Andrew Mason said:
The force that is .08 m away on the line x = y, which is 45 degrees above the x axis, is -11.25 N, repulsive, so it is away from that charge ie. in a direction of 180+45 = 225 degrees. The x component of that force is 11.25cos 225 = -7.95 N. The y component is the same: 11.25 sin 225 = -7.95 N. We write that vector as: (-7.95, -7.95) .

Why would the x and y component be 11.25 cos 225?
Could one not do it like this?

[PLAIN]http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/7062/grapheg.png

sin 45 = o/h = y/0.8 = 1/sqrt(2)

=> y = 0.8/sqrt(2) = 0.565

But obviously this is a different answer.

Also:
Andrew Mason said:
Can you work out the length and the direction of that vector?

The question was to determine the resultant force acting on the point, not the sum of the two other vectors, or is that the same thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
wheybags said:
I don't understand why you reversed the sign of the two charges.

Since the charge at origin is negative, the force by the charge lying on x-axis will be attractive (and since it lies on positive side of x-axis, the direction of force on charge at origin is positive), and repulsive by the charge lying on x=y (by similar argument as above, force on charge at origin in the negative x,y direction).

Why would the x and y component be 11.25 cos 225?
Could one not do it like this?

[PLAIN]http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/7062/grapheg.png

sin 45 = o/h = y/0.8 = 1/sqrt(2)

=> y = 0.8/sqrt(2) = 0.565

But obviously this is a different answer.
Not sure what you are trying to say here.

The question was to determine the resultant force acting on the point, not the sum of the two other vectors, or is that the same thing?

Yes, they are indeed the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sourabh N said:
Not sure what you are trying to say here.

I'm asking why the method I proposed is not a valid solution, and why the the one that AM posted is.

wheybags said:
I'm asking why the method I proposed is not a valid solution, and why the the one that AM posted is.
You are taking the y component of the displacement for some reason that you do not explain.

You have to take the x and y components of the FORCE vector not the displacement vector. The length of the FORCE vector is inversely proportional to the square of the length of the displacement vector.

We represent each force by a vector. The vector's length is proportional to the force and points in the direction of the force. To add forces, we add the force vectors using the vector addition method (put two force vectors tail to head and then measure the length and direction of the vector from the tail of the first to the head of the second). That is all I have done.

AM

What is a point charge?

A point charge is an idealized model in physics that represents a charged particle with a finite amount of charge concentrated at a single point in space. It is used to simplify calculations involving electric fields and forces on charged particles.

What is the resultant force on a point charge near other charges?

The resultant force on a point charge near other charges is the vector sum of all the individual forces exerted on the point charge by the other charges. This can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the magnitude of the force is directly proportional to the product of the two charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What is the formula for calculating the resultant force on a point charge?

The formula for calculating the resultant force on a point charge is F = k * (q1 * q2) / r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between them.

How does the distance between two charges affect the resultant force on a point charge?

The distance between two charges has an inverse relationship with the resultant force on a point charge. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the resultant force on the point charge decreases, and vice versa.

How do the signs of the charges affect the resultant force on a point charge?

The signs of the charges also play a role in determining the resultant force on a point charge. If the two charges have the same sign, they will repel each other and the resultant force will be repulsive. If the two charges have opposite signs, they will attract each other and the resultant force will be attractive.