1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Retardation problem

1. Jun 29, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A driver applies brakes on seeing a traffic signal 400 m ahead. At the time of applying brakes the vehicle was moving with 15m/s and retarding with 0.3m/s2. The distance of the vehicle after 1 min from the traffic light is?
    A) 25m B) 375m C) 360m D) 40m

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using v=u+at I found the time that the car takes to come v=0 is 50 sec. And using s=ut+1/2at2 I found the distance it travelled in 50 sec is 375m . Hence distance from the traffic light is 25m.
    The same problem , this time using s=ut+1/2at2 and t=60 secs (this is what i did first) , i got s= 360m and distance from traffic light =40m. Why exactly is this not working? Is the reason that the equation gives me this answer is that the equation assumes that the car is going to stop at t=50 sec and then continue speeding up in the opposite direction? Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2015 #2

Nathanael

Homework Helper

Yes, exactly.

You are expected to model the situation of a person driving up to a stop light. (People don't reverse at stop lights).

Your model was: acceleration = -0.3 m/s/s

But the better model is: For time 0<t<T acceleration = -0.3 m/s/s; for time t>T acceleration = 0 (where T is the time to come to a stop).

4. Jun 29, 2015 #3
    thank you sir,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted