• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Retardation problem

• Thread starter takando12
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A driver applies brakes on seeing a traffic signal 400 m ahead. At the time of applying brakes the vehicle was moving with 15m/s and retarding with 0.3m/s2. The distance of the vehicle after 1 min from the traffic light is?
A) 25m B) 375m C) 360m D) 40m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using v=u+at I found the time that the car takes to come v=0 is 50 sec. And using s=ut+1/2at2 I found the distance it travelled in 50 sec is 375m . Hence distance from the traffic light is 25m.
The same problem , this time using s=ut+1/2at2 and t=60 secs (this is what i did first) , i got s= 360m and distance from traffic light =40m. Why exactly is this not working? Is the reason that the equation gives me this answer is that the equation assumes that the car is going to stop at t=50 sec and then continue speeding up in the opposite direction? Please help.

Answers and Replies

Nathanael
Homework Helper
Is the reason that the equation gives me this answer is that the equation assumes that the car is going to stop at t=50 sec and then continue speeding up in the opposite direction? Please help.
Yes, exactly.

You are expected to model the situation of a person driving up to a stop light. (People don't reverse at stop lights).

Your model was: acceleration = -0.3 m/s/s

But the better model is: For time 0<t<T acceleration = -0.3 m/s/s; for time t>T acceleration = 0 (where T is the time to come to a stop).

Likes takando12
Yes, exactly.

You are expected to model the situation of a person driving up to a stop light. (People don't reverse at stop lights).

Your model was: acceleration = -0.3 m/s/s

But the better model is: For time 0<t<T acceleration = -0.3 m/s/s; for time t>T acceleration = 0 (where T is the time to come to a stop).
thank you sir,