REU if you already have a degree?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Moonshine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree Reu
In summary, an REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program is a funded research opportunity for undergraduate students to gain hands-on experience in a particular field of science or engineering. These programs are open to students who have completed their undergraduate degree and can provide valuable experience for graduate school applications. There are no age restrictions for participating in an REU program as long as the individual meets the qualifications and has a strong interest in the research being conducted.
Moonshine
I have a BS in chemistry, but I am now working on a physics degree. Am I still eligible for physics REUs? I haven't seen anything explicitly stating that I am not eligible. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure REUs are reserved expressly for undergraduate students.

I should add that I am working on an undergraduate physics degree.

woops, you actually already mentioned that. My bad :uhh:
in that case, i have no idea.

1. What is an REU program?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program is a funded research opportunity for undergraduate students to gain hands-on experience in a particular field of science or engineering. These programs typically last 8-10 weeks and are intended to increase students' interest and participation in research.

2. Can I participate in an REU if I already have a degree?

Yes, you can still participate in an REU program even if you have already completed your undergraduate degree. Many REU programs welcome recent graduates and offer the same opportunities and benefits as they do for current undergraduate students.

3. Will participating in an REU help me get into graduate school?

Participating in an REU program can be a valuable experience to include on your graduate school applications. It shows that you have hands-on research experience and have actively pursued opportunities to further your knowledge and skills in your field of interest.

4. What are the benefits of participating in an REU program if I already have a degree?

Participating in an REU program as someone who already has a degree can provide you with the opportunity to gain more in-depth knowledge and experience in a specific area of research. It can also help you make connections with other researchers and potentially lead to publication opportunities.

5. Are there any age restrictions for participating in an REU program if I already have a degree?

Age restrictions vary for each REU program, but many do not have a specific age limit. As long as you meet the qualifications and have a strong interest in the research being conducted, you are eligible to apply and participate in an REU program, regardless of your age.