REU Testimonials: Experiences at University of Alabama/Auburn

• Thread starter plutoisacomet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reu
In summary, the conversation discusses the experiences of different individuals who have completed REU's, or Research Experience for Undergraduates. The main topic is the tasks and responsibilities that are typically involved in an REU, with some participants sharing their personal experiences. It is mentioned that the specific tasks and projects can vary depending on the site and mentor, but generally involve working in a lab and gaining hands-on experience in research. The conversation also touches on the importance of skills such as building circuits and using various software programs for experimental scientists and engineers. Overall, the conversation highlights the valuable learning opportunities and potential for personal growth that come with completing an REU.
plutoisacomet
For those of you that have completed REU's, can one or all of you explain what you actually did? How many of your REU's were just working on circuits or building hardware. That's what machinists and Electronics Technicians are for right?
Has anyone done a REU at the University of Alabama or Auburn and what did you do?
Thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
What you do in an REU depends almost entirely upon who you work for. REU sites determine location, and some programs have better organized events, but most of your time you're essentially acting like a graduate student. That means, like in graduate school, your adviser is what determines your experience in the lab.

Sounds hit and miss depending on the Prof!

Don't dismiss designing circuitry and hardware as work that is below you, because it isn't! Being able to build circuits, work with LabVIEW Matlab, Maple, etc., and build hardware for experiments are skills that are essential for anybody who wants to be an experimental scientist or engineer.

G01 said:
Don't dismiss designing circuitry and hardware as work that is below you, because it isn't! Being able to build circuits, work with LabVIEW Matlab, Maple, etc., and build hardware for experiments are skills that are essential for anybody who wants to be an experimental scientist or engineer.

agreed, these are all skills that you need at least some familiarity with.

as to the original question, my REU experience at UC- Irvine was great. one of the best summers of my life. I got to work in a lab largely independent, program some data collection routines, modify an experimental set up and then collect data. on top of that i took advantage of living in southern cali and learned to surf with one of my best buddies who was also on an REU at UCI at the time. His experience research wise was not as exciting, but we still talk about that summer fondly.

If anything the experience will really give you a taste for real physics and should help you decide if this is what you want to pursue in the future.

josh_einsle said:
as to the original question, my REU experience at UC- Irvine was great. one of the best summers of my life. I got to work in a lab largely independent, program some data collection routines, modify an experimental set up and then collect data. on top of that i took advantage of living in southern cali and learned to surf with one of my best buddies who was also on an REU at UCI at the time. His experience research wise was not as exciting, but we still talk about that summer fondly.
I will testify to the virtues of learning to surf at an REU as well.

1. What is an REU program?

An REU program stands for Research Experience for Undergraduates, which is a National Science Foundation funded program that provides opportunities for undergraduate students to participate in research projects at universities across the country. It is designed to encourage students to pursue careers in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields.

2. What are the benefits of participating in an REU program?

There are many benefits to participating in an REU program, including gaining hands-on research experience, working with experienced mentors, networking with other students and professionals in your field, and developing important skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication.

3. What sets the University of Alabama/Auburn REU program apart from others?

The University of Alabama and Auburn University both have strong reputations for their research programs in various STEM fields. The REU programs at these universities offer unique opportunities for students to work on cutting-edge research projects, access state-of-the-art facilities, and collaborate with renowned faculty members.

4. What types of research projects are available at the University of Alabama/Auburn REU program?

The University of Alabama/Auburn REU program offers a diverse range of research projects in various STEM fields, including biology, chemistry, engineering, physics, and more. These projects cover a wide range of topics and allow students to gain experience in different areas of research.

5. How can I apply for the University of Alabama/Auburn REU program?

To apply for the University of Alabama/Auburn REU program, you will need to submit an application and other required materials, such as transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. The application process may vary slightly between the two universities, so be sure to check their websites for specific instructions and deadlines.