Reversed Carnot Cycle: Explained for Refrigerators

In summary, a reversed Carnot cycle involves adiabatic compression of gas, followed by isothermal compression where heat is rejected to the sink. However, there seems to be confusion as to whether the working substance actually absorbs heat from the sink, as this is not the case in either step of the cycle. It is important to provide a specific example of where this misconception is coming from in order to fully understand the procedure.
avistein
What happens in a reversed carnot cycle? I mean in refrigerators.The gas is adiabatically compressed so that it's temperature rises.Then it is isothermally compressed so that the heat is rejected to the sink.But then why it is said everywhere that the working substance absorbs heat from sink? Please explain me the full procedure.I am confused here.

Science news on Phys.org
where is everywhere?

avistein said:
Then it is isothermally compressed so that the heat is rejected to the sink.But then why it is said everywhere that the working substance absorbs heat from sink? Please explain me the full procedure.I am confused here.
Both of those are wrong, so please post an example of the "everywhere" where you got that.

1. What is a reversed Carnot cycle?

A reversed Carnot cycle is a thermodynamic process used in refrigerators and heat pumps. It involves four stages: isothermal compression, adiabatic compression, isothermal expansion, and adiabatic expansion. This cycle allows for the transfer of heat from a low-temperature reservoir to a high-temperature reservoir without any external work.

2. How does a reversed Carnot cycle work in refrigerators?

In refrigerators, the reversed Carnot cycle works by using a refrigerant, such as Freon, to transfer heat from the inside of the refrigerator (low-temperature reservoir) to the outside (high-temperature reservoir). This is achieved by compressing the refrigerant, which causes it to release heat, and then expanding it, which causes it to absorb heat. This cycle is repeated to maintain a cool temperature inside the refrigerator.

3. What is the efficiency of a reversed Carnot cycle?

The efficiency of a reversed Carnot cycle is determined by the temperatures of the two reservoirs. It is equal to the temperature difference between the two reservoirs divided by the temperature of the high-temperature reservoir. This means that the efficiency can be improved by decreasing the temperature of the low-temperature reservoir or increasing the temperature of the high-temperature reservoir.

4. Why is the reversed Carnot cycle used in refrigerators?

The reversed Carnot cycle is used in refrigerators because it is the most efficient way to transfer heat from a low-temperature reservoir to a high-temperature reservoir. This makes it ideal for cooling purposes, as it can maintain a consistent temperature without requiring much external work.

5. What are the limitations of a reversed Carnot cycle in refrigerators?

One limitation of the reversed Carnot cycle in refrigerators is that it can only achieve a maximum efficiency of 100%. This means that there will always be some energy lost in the form of heat during the cycle. Additionally, the efficiency of the cycle is highly dependent on the temperature difference between the two reservoirs, so if the difference is small, the efficiency will also be small.