1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reversible Carnot Cycle and Heat Engine

1. Jan 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A borehole produces 120kg/s of high pressure water at 165°C. A powerplant is to be designed to extract heat from the water, reducing the temp to 147°C. The plant which will initially be assumed to be reversible, will reject heat at 17°C to a river. Take 147°C as the highest temp available and assume the river is so large that there is negligible change in temp. Specific Heat Capacity of high pressure water is 4.2kj/kgK.

Work out:
    a) Rate of heat input available to the plant.
    b) Rate at which heat is rejected
    c) Maximum power out from the plant and its efficiency.

2. Relevant equations

QL/QH = TL/TH

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not sure where or how to begin. Any help pointing me in the right direction for each question would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2012 #2
    I am not sure your question makes sense. What do you mean by "to reject heat?" Are you sure that 17 C is not the temperature of the river? If the process reduces the temperature from 165 C to 147 C, then isn't 165 the highest temperature, and not 147? I would not know where to start either. It does not make sense.

4. Jan 6, 2012 #3
    For part a): Use this equation to calculate the heat lost from the water (the heat input to the plant): Q(rate) = m(rate of mass flow) * specific heat * temperature change

for b): Since the plant is assumed to be reversible, use the equation: Qh(rate)/QL(rate) = Th/TL

for c): The maximum power output results from a reversible cycle (or a process), which is the case here. Now since the efficiency of a reversible cycle is a function of temperature ONLY, use the equation: η(rev) = (Th-TL)/(Th)
    After you find the maximum efficiency, use the equation: η = [Wnet,output(rate)]/Qh

I hope that answers your question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook