Revisiting Algebra / Any Good Books to Help Master it?

In summary, the conversation discusses the struggles of mastering algebra in intermediate math classes such as calculus and differential equations. The person is looking for recommendations on books or guides that focus on understanding and intuition rather than memorization. Suggestions for Algebra, Gelfand and Trigonometry, Gelfand are given as they are known to be challenging and focus on understanding. The conversation also emphasizes the importance of practicing exercises to improve algebra skills.
CarbonWater
I've been doing the intermediate math classes like calculus and differential equations. I'm doing okay, but not great. What holds me back getting a 100% in these classes is almost always the algebra. I make stupid algebra mistakes and honestly am not completely comfortable with some concepts.

Does anyone know of any books or guides or approaches that are tailored to people trying to refresh / perfect their algebra? I feel like I almost need to approach it a different way to master it at this point.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
CarbonWater said:
I've been doing the intermediate math classes like calculus and differential equations. I'm doing okay, but not great. What holds me back getting a 100% in these classes is almost always the algebra. I make stupid algebra mistakes and honestly am not completely comfortable with some concepts.

Does anyone know of any books or guides or approaches that are tailored to people trying to refresh / perfect their algebra? I feel like I almost need to approach it a different way to master it at this point.

Are you talking about algebra as in arithmetic or algebra as in group-theory based algebra?

chiro said:
Are you talking about algebra as in arithmetic or algebra as in group-theory based algebra?

Considering the fact that he is talking about algebra used calculus of diff. equations, I would say that it's likely to be elementary algebra. In that case, I highly recommend Algebra, Gelfand. Also, if you're looking for a better intuition of trigonometry, try Trigonometry, Gelfand.

The above two books really focus on intuition and understanding as opposed to memorizing algorithms, and are also very challenging.

Make a lot of exercises. It's the only way to master these things!

DivisionByZro said:
Considering the fact that he is talking about algebra used calculus of diff. equations, I would say that it's likely to be elementary algebra. In that case, I highly recommend Algebra, Gelfand. Also, if you're looking for a better intuition of trigonometry, try Trigonometry, Gelfand.

The above two books really focus on intuition and understanding as opposed to memorizing algorithms, and are also very challenging.

Thanks for the suggestion and you were correct about which type of algebra I'm talking about.

1. What is Algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols to solve equations and understand relationships between quantities.

2. Why is it important to revisit Algebra?

Algebra is a fundamental skill in many fields of science and technology, and it serves as a building block for more advanced mathematical concepts. Revisiting Algebra helps to solidify and strengthen one's understanding of this important subject.

3. What are some common challenges with learning Algebra?

Some common challenges with learning Algebra include understanding abstract concepts, struggling with equations and word problems, and memorizing formulas and rules.

4. Are there any good books to help master Algebra?

Yes, there are many good books available to help master Algebra. Some popular options include "Algebra for Dummies" by Mary Jane Sterling and "Algebra: Structure and Method" by Richard G. Brown.

5. How can I effectively practice and improve my Algebra skills?

In addition to studying from textbooks or online resources, practicing regularly is key to improving Algebra skills. This can include solving equations and word problems, working on exercises and drills, and seeking help from a tutor or teacher if needed.