Revolution of a curve along a axis

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
kazthehack
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


given z =y3 revolved around the y-axis what is the equation of the surface and then graph.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I have no idea how to approach this, i tried searching around the net but nothing came out. pls help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
start with the equation of a circle of radius z = y^3, with centre on the y-axis & in a plane perpindicular to the y axis
 
^ what i need is a step by step solution and i learn to solve other problems if i see how it is done.
 
sorry, you have to try - I'm happy to walk you through it if you attempt, but I'm not just going to do it all for you
 
kazthehack said:
given z =y3 revolved around the y-axis what is the equation of the surface and then graph.
…
I have no idea how to approach this, i tried searching around the net but nothing came out. pls help.

Hi kazthehack! :wink:

Start with a single point z =y03 (for a fixed value y0) revolved around the y-axis …

what is the equation of that? :smile: