Revolution of a curve along a axis

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation and graph of a surface formed by revolving a point z = y^3 around the y-axis. The approach involves starting with a single point and finding the equation for that point before graphing the surface.
kazthehack

Homework Statement

given z =y3 revolved around the y-axis what is the equation of the surface and then graph.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to approach this, i tried searching around the net but nothing came out. pls help.

Physics news on Phys.org
start with the equation of a circle of radius z = y^3, with centre on the y-axis & in a plane perpindicular to the y axis

^ what i need is a step by step solution and i learn to solve other problems if i see how it is done.

sorry, you have to try - I'm happy to walk you through it if you attempt, but I'm not just going to do it all for you

kazthehack said:
given z =y3 revolved around the y-axis what is the equation of the surface and then graph.

I have no idea how to approach this, i tried searching around the net but nothing came out. pls help.

Hi kazthehack! :wink:

Start with a single point z =y03 (for a fixed value y0) revolved around the y-axis …

what is the equation of that? :smile:

1. What is a "revolution of a curve along an axis"?

The revolution of a curve along an axis refers to the process of rotating a curve around a fixed axis, resulting in a three-dimensional shape. This concept is commonly used in mathematics and physics to model objects such as cylinders, cones, and spheres.

2. How is the revolution of a curve along an axis calculated?

The calculation for the revolution of a curve along an axis varies depending on the specific curve and axis being used. Generally, it involves integrating the curve's equation with respect to the axis of rotation and using appropriate limits of integration. Additionally, there are several formulas and techniques that can be used to simplify the calculation for specific curves.

3. What are some real-world applications of revolution of a curve along an axis?

The concept of revolution of a curve along an axis has various applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. Some common examples include the design and construction of bridges, tunnels, and roads, as well as the development of rotational machinery and equipment.

4. Can the revolution of a curve along an axis be reversed?

Yes, the revolution of a curve along an axis can be reversed by rotating the curve in the opposite direction. This can be seen in everyday objects such as spinning tops and yo-yos, where the direction of rotation can be changed by changing the direction of the force applied.

5. Are there any limitations to the revolution of a curve along an axis?

While the concept of revolution of a curve along an axis is widely applicable, there are some limitations to consider. For example, the shape of the curve and the axis of rotation must be carefully chosen to ensure a smooth and consistent rotation. Additionally, depending on the specific application, factors such as friction and air resistance may also need to be taken into account.