1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Revolving a tank around the y axis: Work needed to pump water

1. Jun 20, 2010 #1
    1. A tank is formed by revolving y = 3x^2, x = [0,2] around the y axis is filled to the 4 feet point with water (w = 62.4 lb/ft^3). Find the work necessary to pump the water out of the tank over the top.

I got the integral being from a = 0 and b = 4 and integrating [(12y-y^2)/3]dy with w and pi as constants outside of the integral.

And after the integration I got:

224/9 pi (62.4)

And when I multiplied the 62.4 out it came out to be 1553.066 pi

Would this be correct? Just seems bit of a weird number?

[I asked this question earlier...and received help on it on an earlier thread, but I just wanted to see if the numbers I got are correct]

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

At each y, the figure rotated around the y-axis is a disk or radius [itex]x= (y/3)^{1/2}[/itex] and so has area [itex]\pi x^2= (\pi/3)y[/itex] and a very thin disk of thickness dy would have volume [itex](\pi/3)y dy[/itex].

The weight of that disk is [itex](\pi w/3)y dy[/itex] and must be lifted the remaining 12- y feet so the work done in lifting just that disk is (force times distance) [itex](\pi w/3) y(12- y)dy[/itex].

Integrate that from y= 0 to y= 4- that appears to be exactly what you have done!:wink:

4. Jun 20, 2010 #3
    Wow. Ok.

Thanks! The number just seems really weird! Haha.

Thats all!

Thanks though! :]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook