Rewriting a complex number for use in an analytic computation

In short, I feel the following is enough to complete the summary.In summary, the expressions $$\tilde{x_0} = \ln(X+ i\delta)$$ and $$\tilde{x_0} = 1-\sqrt{X+i \delta}$$ can be written in the form ##a + i \delta##, where a is real, for both positive and negative values of X. For X>0, the expressions evaluate to ##\ln(X)## and ##1-\sqrt{X}##, respectively, while for X<0, the expressions evaluate to ##\ln(-X) + i \pi## and ##1-i\sqrt{-X}##, respectively. The sign of
CAF123
Gold Member
Consider an equation, $$\tilde{x_0}
= \ln(X+ i\delta),$$ where X may be positive or negative and ##0< \delta \ll 1##. Now, if ##X>0## this evaluates to ##\ln(X)## in some limiting prescription for ##\delta \rightarrow 0## while if ##X<0##, we get ##\ln(-X) + i \pi. ##

Now, consider, $$\tilde{x_0} = 1-\sqrt{X+i \delta}.$$ How may I write this in the form ##a + i \delta##, where a is real?

Physics news on Phys.org
For real number X
[tex]X=|X|sgn(X)=|X|\ e^{(1-sgn(X))\pi/2\ i}[/tex]
so I think
[tex]\sqrt{X}=\sqrt{|X|}\ e^{(1-sgn(X))\pi/4\ i}[/tex]
In short for X < 0
[tex]\sqrt{X}=i\sqrt{-X}[/tex]

Likes Adesh
You have $$

z_0=\left |Z\right |e^{i\theta} + i\delta $$
$$x_0 =\log(z_0) $$
$$\mathcal Re z_0= \left |Z\right |\cos(\theta) \nonumber $$
$$\mathcal I am z_0=\left |Z\right |\sin(\theta) + \delta \nonumber $$
$$\log(z_0)=\frac{1}{2}\log(\left |Z\right |^2+\delta^2)+i\arctan(\frac{\left |Z\right |\sin(\theta)+\delta}{\left |Z\right |\cos(\theta)})

$$
for ##\log(-Z + i\delta)## you have ##\theta = \pi## and$$\log(-Z + i\delta)=\frac{1}{2}\log(Z^2 + \delta^2)+i\arctan(\frac{\delta}{\left |Z\right |})$$As you can see, you can't ignore the imaginary part of ##Z##.(Sorry about the equation spacing but latex won't interpret the "\\\" multiple line instruction today)

Fred Wright said:
(Sorry about the equation spacing but latex won't interpret the "\\\" multiple line instruction today)
It is accepted within \begin{align*} A&=a \\ B&=b \end{align*}:
\begin{align*}A&=a \\ B&=b\end{align*}

Likes jim mcnamara and berkeman
The expression ## \sqrt {X+ i\delta}##, will equal a term of the form ##a+ib## , for## a,b## Real, and then you can write ## (1+a) +ib ##.

WWGD said:
The expression ## \sqrt {X+ i\delta}##, will equal a term of the form ##a+ib## , for## a,b## Real, and then you can write ## (1+a) +ib ##.
@WWGD thanks, yes this is what I’ve been trying to do. How to write it in such a form if X < 0?

CAF123 said:
@WWGD thanks, yes this is what I’ve been trying to do. How to write it in such a form if X < 0?
Ok, I I was just thinking of just taking a square root of the expression, which would be of the form a+ib, with neither a nor b equal to 0 and then grouping the parts together. Would that work, or is that too obvious? Edit: I was thinking along the lines of what Fred Wright wrote. Are you looking for an explicit expression for the square root in terms of ## X , \delta##?

Last edited:
WWGD said:
Ok, I I was just thinking of just taking a square root of the expression, which would be of the form a+ib, with neither a nor b equal to 0 and then grouping the parts together. Would that work, or is that too obvious? Edit: I was thinking along the lines of what Fred Wright wrote. Are you looking for an explicit expression for the square root in terms of ## X , \delta##?
Thanks. Yes, I want to find ##\sqrt{X+i\delta} = a + ib## for the cases X <0 and X>0. As ##0 < \delta \ll 1## I can say ##b=\pm\delta## so all I need to decide is 1) the sign of b here and 2) what a is. Perhaps the sign of b depends on whether X is positive or negative but I can’t see how to prove that.

[tex]\sqrt{X+iδ}=(X^2+δ^2)^{1/4} \ e^{iϕ/2}=(X^2+δ^2)^{1/4} (\cos\frac{\phi}{2} + i \ \sin\frac{\phi}{2})[/tex]
where
[tex]ϕ=tan^{−1}\frac{δ}{X}\ for\ X>0[/tex]
[tex]ϕ=π/2\ for\ X=0[/tex]
[tex]ϕ=tan^{−1}\frac{\delta}{X}+π \ for\ X<0[/tex]
or
[tex]ϕ=tan^{−1}\frac{\delta}{X}+\frac{\pi}{2}(1−sgn(X))[/tex]

As I posted in #2, I wonder why you are so much worrying about the expression with δ though δ→0 does not seem different from ##\delta=0## in its behavior.

Last edited:

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real part and an imaginary part. It is written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with i being the imaginary unit.

2. How do you rewrite a complex number for use in an analytic computation?

To rewrite a complex number for use in an analytic computation, you need to separate the real and imaginary parts. This can be done by using the properties of complex numbers, such as the distributive property, and simplifying the expression.

3. What is the difference between a real number and a complex number?

A real number is a number that can be represented on a number line and has only one part, the real part. A complex number, on the other hand, has both a real and imaginary part and cannot be represented on a number line.

4. Why is it important to rewrite a complex number for use in an analytic computation?

Rewriting a complex number for use in an analytic computation allows us to perform mathematical operations on the number and obtain a meaningful result. It also helps in solving complex equations and understanding the behavior of complex functions.

5. Can a complex number be rewritten in different forms for use in analytic computations?

Yes, a complex number can be rewritten in different forms, such as polar form or exponential form, for use in analytic computations. Each form has its own advantages and is used in different situations, but they all represent the same complex number.