RF amplification to power IR LED

In summary, the conversation discusses using a receiver to power an LED for an AC remote. The idea of charging a capacitor is mentioned, but the need to maintain binary transmission complicates things. A suggestion is made to look into Passive RFID tags. There is a request for more information about the source and power of the radio signal and its transmission distance.
snoopy
Hello, I am new here so my apologies if I have posted in the wrong place.

I am trying to amplify the radio waved I get from a receiver to power led that will ultimately be used as a remote for the AC.
I have contemplated "charging" a capacitor until it has enough power to power the led however because of the way IR remote communication works, I need to keep the binary transmission.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps have a look at Passive RFID tags. Not my field.

Hi snoopy
welcome to PF

where is the radio signal coming from and what power is that transmitter
Over what distance is the radio signal being transmitted ? what is the receiver ?

answer those questions and maybe we can help with a solution :smile:

cheers
Dave

1. How does RF amplification work to power an IR LED?

RF amplification works by taking a low power radio frequency (RF) signal and increasing its power level to a higher level. This amplified signal is then used to power an infrared (IR) LED, which produces light in the infrared spectrum. The RF signal is converted to a DC voltage, which is then used to drive the IR LED.

2. What are the benefits of using RF amplification to power an IR LED?

Using RF amplification to power an IR LED has several benefits. It allows for greater control over the power output of the LED, resulting in more precise and efficient operation. It also reduces the need for complex wiring and power supplies, making it a more convenient and cost-effective solution.

3. What is the maximum range of RF amplification for powering IR LEDs?

The maximum range of RF amplification for powering IR LEDs depends on several factors, including the strength of the RF signal and the sensitivity of the IR LED. In general, the range can vary from a few meters to several hundred meters.

4. Can RF amplification be used to power multiple IR LEDs at once?

Yes, RF amplification can be used to power multiple IR LEDs at once. This can be achieved by using a higher power RF signal and/or by using multiple amplifiers to drive each LED separately. However, it is important to ensure that the power output is evenly distributed among the LEDs to prevent any damage.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using RF amplification to power IR LEDs?

Yes, there are some safety concerns to consider when using RF amplification to power IR LEDs. RF signals can interfere with other electronic devices, so it is important to use shielding and proper grounding to prevent any interference. Additionally, care should be taken to avoid exposing the eyes to the IR light produced by the LEDs, as it can cause damage to the retina.