Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Rick Steves' Europe: Iran

1. Sep 9, 2009 #1
    Interesting video.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/94075/rick-steves-europe-rick-steves’-iran [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2009 #2

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's a fascinating place. It's a great video.

Tehran is a 'mile high' - like Denver - and has the same air quality issues, although Tehran's air looks more like that in LA or Mexico City.

The description of Tehran traffic reminds me of similar description of traffic in Italy, especially Rome, or Greece, specifically Athens. :biggrin:

I'm currently reading Bernard Lewis's "The Middle East". I'm almost finished the chapter on the origins of Islam, which covers some of the early history of the area, the periodic invasions by various groups, and the divergence of Sunni and Shia.

I think people outside (primarily in the west) of Iran need to appreciate the significance of the Anglo-American involvement in deposing a democratically elected leader, Mosaddeq, in 1953, and the installation of the Shah (not democratically elected).

Saikal, Amin The Rise and Fall of the Shah, Princeton University Press, 1980, p. 38.
    ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammed_Mosaddeq (neutrality of article is disputed)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  4. Sep 10, 2009 #3

mheslep

Gold Member

Even with the minder, Steves is lucky the Iranians did not arrest his entire crew on conspiracy charges about aiding the election dissenters.

5. Sep 10, 2009 #4
    Thanks for putting up that video, we don't get to see Iran like that on any news or documentary channel.

6. Sep 14, 2009 #5

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

I was a Peace Corps Volunteer in Iran and taught Electronics in Farsi in a technical trade school. After that, I went back there for an American defense contractor and worked with the Shah's Air Force. I was (am) fairly fluent in Farsi (read, write, and speak) and have lots of friends all over the country. We Americans can learn more about the Iranian culture thanks to excellent videos such as Steve's Iran. This may help bring us closer to better relations between the people, not withstanding the stupid governments. Thanks for posting it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook