Riemann sum to estimate volume

In summary: The height is a function of \(x\) only and the interval for \(y\) is of width \(1\), so we seek:\[\int_{x=0}^2 (1+3x) \; dx\]We divide the \(x\)-interval \([0,2]\) into \(n\) strips each of width \(2/n\), then the area of the \(i\)-th strip is approximately:\[A_i=\frac{2}{n} \times \left(1+3 \times \frac{2\times i}{n}\right)\]where we are using the \(x\) value of the right edge of
Houdini1
Question:
A solid has a rectangular base that lies in the first quadrant and is bounded by the x and y-axes and the lines x=2, y=1. The height of the solid above point (x,y) is 1+3x. Find the Riemann approximation of the solid.

Solution:

I already know that the solution is \(\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{2}{n} \left(1+\frac{6i}{n} \right)\). What I don't see is why it's 1+(6i)/n and not 1+(3i)/n. Volume can be generalized to be the area of the base times the height, so for this problem I have something like \(\displaystyle x*y*f(x)\). Of course x is changing so I must rewrite this.

For any partition where we approximate the volume between x_1 and x_2 the length will be \(\displaystyle \Delta x=\frac{2}{n}\) The y value is a constant 1, so won't need to be written explicitly as far as I can see. I know this part is incorrect but it seems to me that the height should be \(\displaystyle 1+\frac{3i}{n}\), but I know that since we haven't defined where \(\displaystyle x_i\) is in each partition (it could be the left value, middle value, right value or anywhere) then I'm really stuck here.

EDIT: Now that I think about it more since we haven't defined what n is we don't know what i/n either and i/n will change according to how many partitions we take. So am I correct in thinking that \(\displaystyle f(x_i)=f(i\Delta x)\)? If so this makes sense now.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Houdini said:
Question:
A solid has a rectangular base that lies in the first quadrant and is bounded by the x and y-axes and the lines x=2, y=1. The height of the solid above point (x,y) is 1+3x. Find the Riemann approximation of the solid.

Solution:

I already know that the solution is \(\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{2}{n} \left(1+\frac{6i}{n} \right)\). What I don't see is why it's 1+(6i)/n and not 1+(3i)/n. Volume can be generalized to be the area of the base times the height, so for this problem I have something like \(\displaystyle x*y*f(x)\). Of course x is changing so I must rewrite this.

For any partition where we approximate the volume between x_1 and x_2 the length will be \(\displaystyle \Delta x=\frac{2}{n}\) The height is a constant 1, so won't need to be written explicitly as far as I can see. I know this part is incorrect but it seems to me that the height should be \(\displaystyle 1+\frac{3i}{n}\), but I know that since we haven't defined where \(\displaystyle x_i\) is in each partition (it could be the left value, middle value, right value or anywhere) then I'm really stuck here.

EDIT: Now that I think about it more since we haven't defined what n is we don't know what i/n either and i/n will change according to how many partitions we take. So am I correct in thinking that \(\displaystyle f(x_i)=f(i\Delta x)\)? If so this makes sense now.

This is just a one dimensional integral/Riemann sum problem in disguise, since the height is a function of \(x\) only and the interval for \(y\) is of width \(1\), so we seek:
\[\int_{x=0}^2 (1+3x) \; dx\]
We divide the \(x\)-interval \([0,2]\) into \(n\) strips each of width \(2/n\), then the area of the \(i\)-th strip is approximately:
\[A_i=\frac{2}{n} \times \left(1+3 \times \frac{2\times i}{n}\right)\]
where we are using the \(x\) value of the right edge of the \(i\)-th strip (\( (2 \times i)/n \) ) as our approximate value of \(x\) in the formula for the height of the for the strip.

Then the right Riemann sum is:
\[S_n=\sum_{i=1}^{n}A_i={\Large{\sum_{i=0}^{n-1}}}\left[ \frac{2}{n} \times \left(1+3 \times \frac{2\times i}{n}\right)\right] \].

CB

Last edited:
Almost makes perfect sense, just would like clarification about the \(\displaystyle f(x_i)=f(i \times \Delta x)\) part. If that's true than I see \(\displaystyle f(x_i)\) as \(\displaystyle \left( 1+ 3 \left[ i \times \frac{2}{n} \right] \right)\). I know that's just rewriting what you posted but writing it this way seems to confirm my stated assumption.

That's well put that this is a disguised single variable integral too.

Last edited:

Related to Riemann sum to estimate volume

What is a Riemann sum?

A Riemann sum is a method used in calculus to approximate the area under a curve or the volume of a solid by dividing it into smaller, simpler shapes and summing up the areas or volumes of those shapes.

How is a Riemann sum used to estimate volume?

A Riemann sum can be used to estimate the volume of a solid by dividing it into smaller, simpler shapes such as cubes, rectangles, or cylinders. The volume of each shape is then calculated and added together to get an approximate value for the total volume of the solid.

What is the difference between a left Riemann sum and a right Riemann sum?

A left Riemann sum uses the left endpoint of each subinterval to calculate the area or volume of the corresponding shape, while a right Riemann sum uses the right endpoint. This can result in a different approximation depending on the shape of the curve or solid.

What is the purpose of using a Riemann sum to estimate volume?

Riemann sums are useful in situations where the volume of a solid cannot be easily calculated using traditional methods, such as when the shape of the solid is irregular or when it is difficult to find the equation of the solid's boundary.

What are the limitations of using a Riemann sum to estimate volume?

Riemann sums can only provide an approximation of the true volume and the accuracy of the approximation depends on the number and size of the subintervals used. Additionally, they can only be used for solids with certain shapes and cannot accurately estimate the volume of more complex shapes.