1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Right hand Rule Question

1. Apr 26, 2009 #1
    Ok... so I know the direction of the force is east, the direction of the velocity is north, and the Magnetic field is out of the page. So Im trying to determine what charge this particle is. The answer is positive but I dont see how that's the answer. Look through my work please, to see whats wrong.

My work....

My fingers point to the velocity which is north, and I curl into the B-Field, the direction of my thumb, which is out. The Force is still out not east unless I twist my thumb to the east. Then I see the force going to the east.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2009 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How did you curl your fingers towards your thumb?! Your palm should be facing up when you curl your fingers up.

4. Apr 26, 2009 #3

Well what I did was I just basically I curled it counterclockwise into my thumb. That's why I don see the force pointing to the east.

5. Apr 26, 2009 #4

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Apr 26, 2009 #5
    Exactly but I still dont get it. Im doing this rule: "You can determine the direction of the magnetic force vector by using the right-hand rule as follows: point the fingers of your right hand in the direction of the velocity vector and then curl them around to point in the direction of the magnetic field vector. The direction in which your thumb points gives you the direction of the magnetic force vector."

So I have this...lol...I know this a corny explanation....

righthandrule.JPG

Using the First Image Rule:

So the thumb points out and the velocity points north. So I curled my fingers into my thumb and my thumb doesnt move east.

7. Apr 27, 2009 #6

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

See attachment.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook