Using the Right Hand Rule to Determine Particle Charge

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of the right-hand rule to determine the direction of the magnetic force vector. The person is trying to determine the charge of a particle based on the given directions of the force, velocity, and magnetic field. However, there is confusion on how to properly use the right-hand rule, with some suggesting that the thumb should be pointing away from the hand, while others argue it should be in the plane of the palm. The person also mentions using the First Image Rule as an alternative. Ultimately, there is still confusion on how to correctly apply the right-hand rule in this scenario.
Nimmy
Ok... so I know the direction of the force is east, the direction of the velocity is north, and the Magnetic field is out of the page. So I am trying to determine what charge this particle is. The answer is positive but I don't see how that's the answer. Look through my work please, to see what's wrong.

My work...

My fingers point to the velocity which is north, and I curl into the B-Field, the direction of my thumb, which is out. The Force is still out not east unless I twist my thumb to the east. Then I see the force going to the east.

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you curl your fingers towards your thumb?! Your palm should be facing up when you curl your fingers up.

dx said:
How did you curl your fingers towards your thumb?! Your palm should be facing up when you curl your fingers up.
Well what I did was I just basically I curled it counterclockwise into my thumb. That's why I don see the force pointing to the east.

dx said:
Your thumb should be pointing away from your hand, and should be in the plane of your palm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_hand_rule

Exactly but I still don't get it. I am doing this rule: "You can determine the direction of the magnetic force vector by using the right-hand rule as follows: point the fingers of your right hand in the direction of the velocity vector and then curl them around to point in the direction of the magnetic field vector. The direction in which your thumb points gives you the direction of the magnetic force vector."

So I have this...lol...I know this a corny explanation...

righthandrule.JPG

Using the First Image Rule:

So the thumb points out and the velocity points north. So I curled my fingers into my thumb and my thumb doesn't move east.

See attachment.

Attachments

• righthand.jpg
    righthand.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 421

Related to Using the Right Hand Rule to Determine Particle Charge

What is the Right Hand Rule?

The Right Hand Rule is a method used to determine the direction of a magnetic field or the direction of the force on a charged particle moving through a magnetic field. It is based on the principle that the direction of the magnetic field or force is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field.

How is the Right Hand Rule used in physics?

The Right Hand Rule is used in physics to determine the direction of a magnetic field or the direction of the force on a charged particle in a magnetic field. It is commonly used in electromagnetism, especially in the study of electric motors, generators, and other devices that use magnetic fields.

What are the three versions of the Right Hand Rule?

There are three versions of the Right Hand Rule: the Right Hand Rule for Current-Carrying Wires, the Right Hand Rule for Charged Particle Motion, and the Right Hand Rule for Force on a Current-Carrying Wire. Each version is used to determine a different aspect of the relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields.

What are some examples of using the Right Hand Rule?

Some examples of using the Right Hand Rule include determining the direction of the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire, the direction of the force on a charged particle moving through a magnetic field, and the direction of the force on a current-carrying wire in a magnetic field. It is also used in the design and operation of devices such as electric motors, generators, and speakers.

What are the limitations of the Right Hand Rule?

The Right Hand Rule is a simplified model used to understand the relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields. It is not always accurate in complex situations and does not take into account factors such as the shape of the magnetic field or the interaction between multiple currents. In some cases, the Left Hand Rule may be more appropriate. Additionally, the Right Hand Rule only applies in situations involving electric currents and magnetic fields, and cannot be used to determine the direction of other types of forces or fields.