Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rigid body dynamics question

1. May 19, 2008 #1
    Hi!
    I have been working on a rigid body subject quite a long. But till now there is an unresolved question for me. When we calculating the torque acting on the rigid body we use the following definition of the torque: t = r X f, X - is a cross product. So if I calculate the torque in a body-fixed system I use r in the body-fixed system too, but for force f - I am not sure. In which coordinate system should it be expressed - in the body-fixed or in space-fixed. Are this forces different in both systems? Sorry, for probably stupid questions. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2008 #2
    Sorry, I've found - we really need to do all in the same coordinate system.

But now, I have some other question - probably, more interesting. The torque acting on the rigid body (expressed in the body-fixed frame) is given by: t = -0.5*S(q)*(dU/dq), gde U - potential, q - is a quaternion, ans S(q) - is a matrix such that: dq/dt = 0.5*S(q)w, where w - is a 4-dimensional angular velocity. Can anybody explain how to get that formula for the torque?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?