Rigid body rail question

This will give you the value of v at which the marble will leave the track.In summary, the conversation discusses a frame of reference problem involving the release of a marble from a track due to a zero normal force. It is explained that in order for the marble to travel in a circular path, a centripetal acceleration must be present and the centrifugal force is the reactionary force caused by the track. The equations for centripetal force and gravitational force are discussed and it is suggested to solve for v in terms of alpha and equate the radial component of the gravitational force to the centripetal force to find the velocity at which the marble will leave the track.
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a frame of reference type of problem. Yes, the marble will release from the track when the normal force is zero. In order for the marble to travel in a circular path a centripetal acceleration must be present. If the observer is the marble, it experiences an inertial force called the centrifugal force. This is the reactionary force caused by the track. So, in this reference frame the centrifugal force is the same magnitude as the centripetal force (v2/R) but in the opposite direction. Therefore, when the gravitational force equals the centrifugal force this is the point where the marble will leave the track.

i described the equation
can you continue them?

I'm sorry. The web page with your image will not load at this time so I cannot view your equations.

can you see this one?

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/7320/83882436ug7.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I can see your image. Thank you. Now, express omega in terms of v (omega = v/R). This will give you an expression for v as a function of alpha. Use the expression for centripetal force in terms of v and equate to the radial component of the graviational force acting on the marble.

ok what now
the total energy is
[itex]

& {\rm{mg2R = mgR(1 + cos}}\alpha {\rm{) + }}{{mv^2 } \over 2} + {{I({v \over r})^2 } \over 2} \cr
& \cr}
[/itex]

Your equation can be solved for v2. Now,

[tex]F_{centripetal}=m\frac{v^2}{R}[/tex]

Find the radial component of the gravitational force as a function of alpha and set it equal to the centripetal force.

1. What is a rigid body in physics?

A rigid body is an idealized physical object that does not deform or change shape under the influence of external forces or moments.

2. What is a rail in physics?

A rail is a long, narrow piece of material that serves as a support or guide for objects moving along its length.

3. How does a rigid body move on a rail?

A rigid body moves on a rail by maintaining a constant distance from the rail and rotating around a fixed axis perpendicular to the rail.

4. What factors affect the motion of a rigid body on a rail?

The motion of a rigid body on a rail is affected by the mass, shape, and velocity of the body, as well as the friction and gravity acting on it.

5. What are some real-life examples of rigid body rail systems?

Some real-life examples of rigid body rail systems include roller coasters, train tracks, and conveyor belts.