Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rigidity of tubing VS solid bar

1. Jun 7, 2007 #1
    Ok, I searched.
    And I need some one to confirm what is more rigid. If you have a 1 inch solid steel bar and a 1 inch, say... 1/4 inch wall pipe, what is easier to bend the rod or the hollow tube?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2007 #2

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Isuzunut.
    I'm not actually sure about the diameter, but tubing is definitely more rigid on a by-weight basis. If you look at things like car frames, roll cages, fence posts, aircraft landing gear, etc., you'll notice that it's all tubular. For the same reason, I-beams and H-beams are used in building construction. All that I can tell you is that it's because of the way compression, tension, and torsional forces are distributed. Someone else will have to give you the straight facts.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  4. Jun 8, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The rigidity in bending is proportional to the moment of area of the cross section.

So ignoring any other considerations, for the same mass of material, increasing the diameter and decreasing the wall thickness gives more rigidity. A solid bar is the worst (most flexible) case.

Obviously there ARE other considerations, if the walls of the tube are very thin.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?